Kendall GT-1 20w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have a 91 BMW M5. It has a DOHC 3535cc inline-6 with bucket tappets. 7250rpm redline, 310HP/265TQ stock. Owners manual specifies 15W-40 or 15W-50.

I have been using Kendall recently per recommendation by Frank Fahey, a known BMW engine rebuilder out of San Diego, CA.

VOA has left me a bit underwhelmed, a little light on zinc, phosphorus and molybdenum. Any thoughts on the titanium additives?

Next time around, I am considering Mobil 1 15W-50 SN. I considered Castrol EDGE 5W-50 and Mobil 1 5W-50 (Porsche) but am skeptical about using a 5W-XX vs 15W-XX because of the specifications in the manual. I have a factory resonator in place of the standard catalysts.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
I liked the M1 0W-40 "Euro" in some other BMW models I've had, not so much on my 6 cylinder. I did not like the increased valvetrain noise when cold.

I have used 10W-40 M1 HM in the past, and it is another oil I am considering going back to.

Redline 10W-40 is being considered too.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
The zinc and phosphorus levels appear to be low compared to what is shown in the PDS (1200 zinc, 1090 phos).

Probably a deficit of spectral analysis by the lab. Highly doubt they would make that label claim and only put in a low dose of ZDDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back