OBD II question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several insurance companies offer a device that plugs into the port to track driving and lower premiums. I've read that the ports are not designed for continuous use and can be damaged by the insurance devices. Is this true? What is your experience? Thanks.

I had a similar device called a Davis CarChip, and used it for extended periods of time on my cars, and my dad's cars. It didn't harm anything.

I don't know how such a device could overheat unless it developed a short circuit somehow.

I have had my Bluetooth reader for data plugged in for months and everything still works. I suppose it's possible it could damage something as they were designed for diagnostics only.

If I had one of those insurance devices my premium would certainly go up!

Two customers where I work have fleets with tracking devices plugged into the DLC 24/7.

The one uses mostly Ford vans with a few Rangers as well. The other uses mostly Chevy and Ford trucks and had an issue with defective tracking devices draining the vehicles' batteries. The insurance company's device should not have this issue.

I'm thinking the premiums would have to go WAY down before I'd agree to that.

I can understand corporations wanting to monitor their air conditioning technicians, but I can guarantee you those same guys aren't going to let an insurance company monitor their personal vehicles.

Originally Posted By: fonecord2
I like to open up the four-barrel to often for ins. monitoring.

That must be one smart carburator.

We have had people bring their cars in for issues and when the SnapShot type thing was unplugged, the issues stopped. They were on random cars, but they can cause an issue. There was a guy on one of the Mustang forums put one on his Cobra at an open track event. He pegged the meter for hard accelerating and hard braking.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I like to open up the four-barrel to often for ins. monitoring.

That must be one smart carburator.
lol
Did obd and carburetors co-exist?

lol

Yes. GM C3 OBD1. I worked on/rebuilt dozens of computer controlled Rochesters throughout the 80's and 90's.

Originally Posted By: punisher
lol

Yes. GM C3 OBD1. I worked on/rebuilt dozens of computer controlled Rochesters throughout the 80's and 90's.

I'm pretty sure Flo wouldn't give you a Snapshot plugin for an OBD1 car.

My scanguage 2 has been in one of my cars for 6-7 years now with no ECU issues. The more likely problem is kicking the plug once to often.

I did have Allstate's ver. in for a bit.

It is wholly inaccurate though because it doesn't sample VSS fast enough.

So all our hard braking events were from like 6 mph-0. I tried explaining this multiple times to the insurance company then I just ripped it out.

Plus like most people I like going WOT once & a while.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: punisher
lol

I'm pretty sure Flo wouldn't give you a Snapshot plugin for an OBD1 car.

When was the four barrel retired from production vehicles?

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
Several insurance companies offer a device that plugs into the port to track driving and lower premiums. I've read that the ports are not designed for continuous use and can be damaged by the insurance devices. Is this true? What is your experience? Thanks.

Where on earth did you read that ??
Do you think the Insurance Co.s would suggest a suspect device or procedure?

confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
The question I have is, did it lower your insurance, and by how much?

Wayne
I haven't installed it. I've read several posts of problems with the Progressive and Allstate devices but no complaint on the State Farm device. With all the electrical components on my hybrid I'm a little leery of plugging any thing into the OBD II port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back