Towing off-road

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heading out to the woods this weekend to pick up a load of firewood. The path into the woods is downhill which means I will be pulling a 3000-4000 pound load uphill on field grass that may be soft in a few areas. Tow vehicle is a Jeep Liberty. Does it matter which 4 wheel drive setting I use (4 wheel lock vs low)?

From the experience i have with heavy trucks and soft dirt,soil,mud. The less torque the rear wheels have the less chance you have to loose traction in the softlands...

I only know this since my off roader was a 1980suburban with towing 454...i got in trouble in lower 2wheel settings and 4low. But the good to have when its needed =)

Since you'll be headed uphill and you'll also have the tongue weight of the trailer, rear wheel traction won't be a problem.
Momentum is your friend. Don't stop and don't even lift.
Four wheel lock low is what I'd use.
You won't be going fast, but you should keep going.
This is a heavy beast with limited power pulling a heavy trailer.

Take half a trailer up the hill, unload it, then come back with the rest and load it up for the trip home.

On soft mud you're going to mire. I assume the trailer wheels aren't going to line up with the jeeps either so you'll have at least 4 ruts.

And yeah go 4 lo and keep the revs up on the motor too when bombing through. If this means manual gear selection go for it.

Good suggestions, I'll add that you could drop the tire pressure a bit too. Maybe down to 20 psi?
Also if it's too soft, it's too soft, wait a couple weeks until it's easy going.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
Doesnt the liberty have a hemi in it?

They had 3 options:
3.7L SOHC V6. This is most common. It is basically the 4.7 V8 minus 2 cylinders.
2.8L Diesel by VMotori. They were rare.
2.4L DOHC 4 cylinder, similar to the one in the PT Cruiser. I only saw them in manual transmission versions, and few people bought them

I have owned 4x4 stuff all my life. I have never understood the need for having 4x4 and high range. If im in 4x4 its because the road is rough and i need low range to get me over whatever obsticle is in my way. I have even read about people driving the speed limit on snow in 4x4!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have owned 4x4 stuff all my life. I have never understood the need for having 4x4 and high range. If im in 4x4 its because the road is rough and i need low range to get me over whatever obsticle is in my way. I have even read about people driving the speed limit on snow in 4x4!

4H is often needed in loose rock conditions where 4L is too slow and may not have enough momentum going up a hill and 2H is just spinning the rear wheels.

I pull about two cord of oak at a time with my Wrangler. I have lower axle & t-case gears, and a granny first, allowing my 2.5L four cylinder to easily pull 12,000 lbs.

The torque multiplication of low range will be easier on your Libby's drivetrain, especially your transmission.

70% of your traction will be on the rear wheels when ascending typical hills.

I agree, I wouldn't hate having only 2hi and 4lo. The only times I use 4hi are in the snow, and even then it's fairly rare. Mostly just for when I want to screw around and be able to stand on the throttle coming out of turns without getting more than a little sideways.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

I agree, I wouldn't hate having only 2hi and 4lo. The only times I use 4hi are in the snow, and even then it's fairly rare. Mostly just for when I want to screw around and be able to stand on the throttle coming out of turns without getting more than a little sideways.

The only time I have used 4HI extensively was when I broke a bolt off in the rear pinion yoke and had to drive FWD.

I'll occasionally pop it in and out in snow. Off road I'm in 4LO exclusively.

4L. I don't know the specifics of your setup, but if your 4L setting also locks the rear diff, then watch for some potentially squirrely behavior in certain low-traction situations. You should be just fine, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back