Picked up my .308 today from the 'smith....

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few images in this one...

I am customizing a Remington 700 in .308 over the next several months (you can see Stages 1-4 detailed below). Stage 1 was completed so I picked it up and shot about 80 rounds in it today using this ammo (some of the cleanest burning stuff I have seen for non-premium ammo--either that or the barrel just does not foul much):

ppu308match.jpg

The range today had a 30mph crosswind, but I think I did okay for sighting in and shooting non-custom ammo at 150 meters.

jr5d.jpg

noqb.jpg

Stage 1 included:
1. adding a Pachmayr Decelerator to a HS-Precision stock (composite with an aluminum bedding block installed in it) I had removed from another 700 some years ago.
2. install Ken Farrell one piece base:

DSC_0014.JPG

3. install and lap Ken Farrell 30mm rings:

rings.jpg

4. Install NightForce scope in 12-42x56x30mm tube

BR_832_1242.jpg

with NP-R1 reticle:

NP-R1illum.png

5. install a Jewell trigger set at 1 lb

l_100002559_1.jpg

Although I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the factory one—it had about a 3lb pull and was pretty crisp.

Stage 2 will include (within the next 2 months):
1. a new bolt knob (maybe something like this:

Knob%20Multiple.JPG

2. A detachable magazine system with 10 round magazines. I have not decided between Badger Ordinance:

440944.jpg

or the HS Precision version:

file_9_8.jpg

Stage 3 will include (before the fall of 2014):
1. a new HS-Precision Tact-i-cool stock:

file_1_15.jpg

Stage 4 will be (sometime in 2015):
1. A new Hart barrel (Hart guarantees all barrels to have a groove dimension tolerance of +.0005" (for example: .243 caliber can range from .2430 to .2435). Considerable testing has proven that any barrel within this tolerance will shoot as well as another. They further guarantee that the groove will not vary more than .0001 from breech to muzzle. Every barrel is measured with an air gage and examined with a bore scope to insure that there are no tool marks or other defects which we feel would affect accuracy.)
2. blueprinting the action:

45.jpg

3. truing the bolt face

41.jpg

4. bedding the stock like this one:

DSC00815.jpg

After Stage 4, this should be one nice tactical .308 and will far outshoot me, but provided I do my part, it will be a tack driver extraordinaire!

Sweet! Really sweet!

Question: I understand not everyone will stay with a factory trigger, but why did you select the one that you did, i. e., a 1-lb trigger? Prior experience?

What is that group size? About 2" @ 165 yards in a 30 mph crosswind w/ guessing game ammo? It may be a tackdriver already on a calm day after a few loads were developed for accuracy without any further customization. It would be interesting to explore different load combinations prior to tearing it apart further. It appears you have a nice platform to build off of though.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Question: I understand not everyone will stay with a factory trigger, but why did you select the one that you did, i. e., a 1-lb trigger? Prior experience?

All of my rifles have Jewell triggers in them and IMHO they are the best triggers out there--consistent pull and break like glass every time. Most benchrest shooters have a 2 ounce trigger and the Jewell is factory set a 1 lb so I have never changed them. I varmint hunt and do not want a heavy trigger to pull my shots.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Just out of curiosity, just how much is going to set you back money wise?
smile.gif

Of course, it will be too much!!
48.gif
Luckily, all of the components for Stage 1 (scope, mount, rings, trigger, and stock) were purchased a few years ago so the cost impact was not realized today. Removing Stage 1, I would say probably in the 3K range, but because it is over time, it will not be so bad. Besides, now that I "know" what oil I am going to run, I can cut back on the UOAs and spend that money here.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: tstep
What is that group size? About 2" @ 165 yards in a 30 mph crosswind w/ guessing game ammo? It may be a tackdriver already on a calm day after a few loads were developed for accuracy without any further customization. It would be interesting to explore different load combinations prior to tearing it apart further. It appears you have a nice platform to build off of though.
Those are benchrest targets, so the squares are 1"; the group size (at least one of them would likely be in the .7" range or slightly less (measured outside to outside and subtract one caliber). I thought that it did fairly well using cheap "match grade" ammo. I need to work up some loads for it and see how it does on a calm day. The Hart barrel could be left off until much later, but I would still want to true the action/bolt and bed the stock to remove any variation from that part.

That is fabulously accurate w/ guessing game ammo and those crosswinds or you were extraordinarily lucky with the gun liking that particular ammo. I think with that starting accuracy, I'd be building a sleeper and let the rest of the world drool at your "stock" rig.

Originally Posted By: tstep
That is fabulously accurate w/ guessing game ammo and those crosswinds or you were extraordinarily lucky with the gun liking that particular ammo. I think with that starting accuracy, I'd be building a sleeper and let the rest of the world drool at your "stock" rig.

The ammo was not game ammo; the box said match grade (168 grain BTHP). True it could be a sleeper, but the NF scope might be a dead giveaway
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Shaman
At that price range, why didn't you start with a custom?

He'll have a nice custom when he's done. The Remington 700 platform is great to customize for people who don't want to buy a custom action and work off that. That rifle will shoot quite well when its done.

Nice choice in options, I like the stock, a lot cheaper than a McMillian and probably a faster turn around time. 2010 FX4 who did and will be doing remaining gunsmith work?

What's the twist of that Hart barrel you plan on getting, a 10 or 11 twist?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
He'll have a nice custom when he's done. The Remington 700 platform is great to customize for people who don't want to buy a custom action and work off that. That rifle will shoot quite well when its done. Nice choice in options, I like the stock, a lot cheaper than a McMillian and probably a faster turn around time. 2010 FX4 who did and will be doing remaining gunsmith work? What's the twist of that Hart barrel you plan on getting, a 10 or 11 twist?

I did not start with a custom action (BAT, Stolle, etc.) because it would add another $1,500+ to the cost. Custom actions still require work on them; they do not simply "bolt-on". In addition, would that more expensive rifle shoot benchrest quality groups? Almost certainly. Will the less expensive rifle shoot benchrest quality groups? Almost certainly. Can either of them outshoot me? Definitely! I see no point in investing into a custom action when a stock Remington will accomplish the same for less and in my case has proven to be the correct choice time and time again.

The gunsmith is Pete Pieper of Precision Barrel Work. I have used him for 15+ years and he has always built tack drivers for me (I have 4 custom rifles from him all using Remington/Jewell/Hart/HS-Precision as the base platform. The is the first time that I have considered building a tactical rifle--all others are varmint or hunting rifles (you should shoot the one I had built for my son in .221 Fireball). I will probably use a 1/10 twist (though I am waffling and may go with an 11). I have no plans to shoot anything heavier than 180 grain (likely 110-168) so I am not sure that I need a 10. The barrel length is 26" so I should have adequate velocity, though accuracy trumps velocity for me more often than not.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
He'll have a nice custom when he's done. The Remington 700 platform is great to customize for people who don't want to buy a custom action and work off that. That rifle will shoot quite well when its done. Nice choice in options, I like the stock, a lot cheaper than a McMillian and probably a faster turn around time. 2010 FX4 who did and will be doing remaining gunsmith work? What's the twist of that Hart barrel you plan on getting, a 10 or 11 twist?

I did not start with a custom action (BAT, Stolle, etc.) because it would add another $1,500+ to the cost. Custom actions still require work on them; they do not simply "bolt-on". In addition, would that more expensive rifle shoot benchrest quality groups? Almost certainly. Will the less expensive rifle shoot benchrest quality groups? Almost certainly. Can either of them outshoot me? Definitely! I see no point in investing into a custom action when a stock Remington will accomplish the same for less and in my case has proven to be the correct choice time and time again.

The gunsmith is Pete Pieper of Precision Barrel Work. I have used him for 15+ years and he has always built tack drivers for me (I have 4 custom rifles from him all using Remington/Jewell/Hart/HS-Precision as the base platform. The is the first time that I have considered building a tactical rifle--all others are varmint or hunting rifles (you should shoot the one I had built for my son in .221 Fireball). I will probably use a 1/10 twist (though I am waffling and may go with an 11). I have no plans to shoot anything heavier than 180 grain (likely 110-168) so I am not sure that I need a 10. The barrel length is 26" so I should have adequate velocity, though accuracy trumps velocity for me more often than not.

I totally agree with you. I have a few custom rifles built on 700 actions and everyone of them is extremely accurate. I have two Stiller actions waiting to be built, however my interests took me in different directions. One of these days they'll get done. I'm thinking 338 Lapua for one and 6.5x55 Swede for the other, but that can change. I have the barrels waiting too.

An 1/11 twist should work well for the lighter bullets. I went with a 1/10 twist so I have the option to shoot a heavier bullet, I've also shot lighter bullets with the 1/10 twist barrel. If you handload give the 175 grain Sierra Match King bullets a try if you haven't already done so. They're awesome.

Hart makes one of the best barrels out there but never seem to get the recognition they deserve.

I have two custom U.S.M.C. MOS 2112 built Remington 700's in .308. Both wear Hart six groove 26in stainless steel barrels, Leupold Mark 4's on 20 moa one piece bases and set in McMillan A3 and A5 stocks. Factory triggers were tuned and set at 3.5 lbs which for what they are used for is perfect. These are Sub MOA 1,000 yard sniper rifles. Hand loads, 175 grain Sierra Match kings with 2650 MV. They are far more accurate than I can shoot them. Any accuracy problems it's because of the shooter not the gun or ammo.

For those of you who have never shot a quality built custom gun you have no idea what you are missing. You can get a nice gun out of the box from the manufacture but you had better be willing to write a big check. I shot a friends Remington Custom Shop 40X Range Master in 6mm BR off a bench a couple of years ago. My five shot group could be covered with a nickle at 200 yards. I know he has around $4K into the gun with the optics.

If you ever decide to splurge find a gunsmith that knows what they are doing. Slapping parts on a receiver does not make it custom built.

I went from fun guns to precision guns back in 1999 with the purchase of a Blaser LRS2 in .300 WinMag and I've never looked back. Don't ask what this new obsession has cost me.

Originally Posted By: ALS
I went from fun guns to precision guns back in 1999 with the purchase of a Blaser LRS2 in .300 WinMag and I've never looked back. Don't ask what this new obsession has cost me.

I do not have too!
grin.gif

2010_FX4 - very nice build, enjoy it, Pieper seems to do some fine work!

ALS - agreed about Hart; my .308s have been wearing Hart barrels for 25 years.

Here is a quick handling 20" Hart barreled .308 that is my all weather mule - it shoots everything from Barnes TSX 150 to 190 SMK well -

IMG_0128_zps53fb6346.jpg

IMG_1104_zps45ccade5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back