Wix Filters Black vs. White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at O-Reilly Auto Parts tonite looking at Oil filters since Wal-Mart is dropping Motorcraft (yes it has finally happened here to). My truck and my wifes Explorer both use the FL820-S. Lucky for me I had 4 stashed back. When I looked at the Wix equivalent it was painted black with a sticker on it that had the Wix logo and I think the p/n. All the other Wix filters were white with the Wix logo being painted on including the PF52 equivalent I bought for my 96' GMC 4.3L. This may have been discussed before and I missed it.

What is the difference between the white and black filters ? Why would'nt they all be one color?

Sounds like the Wix filters now match the Napa Golds. I don't know about the other Napa filters, but the Golds switched to Black paint and a Napa Gold Sticker many months ago. Previously they were white with painted/stamped on logos and directions.

Probably makes sense from a cost standpoint to make them all the same!

I do have to say, I don't care for the black, as I like to write the date and mileage I installed the filter on the filter. Black sharpie doesn't show up very well on a black filter.
dunno.gif

Or white-out
grin.gif

Drove by the factory in Gastonia on my way out west. Big sign out front has the logo in gold/yellow on a black background. Don't know if this has anything to do with it but it seems the black may just be a subtle change in image/marketing. Also the cost factor makes sense too.

I noticed the same thing on the black and white filters. I noticed the black filters no longer have the DANA logo on them. They also do not say that they are made in USA only Gastonia N.C. (I am not implying that they are not made in USA) The filter boxes have the same information on them; however, the white filter boxes have cross reference information on them at least the ones I have do. There was a post a while back on and investment group or somebody that purchased DANA's filter division. Looks like it is time to cut a black filter open and see what it looks like one the inside. mikeyoilnutt

Im looking at both the white and the black Napa filters as I type this.

The "Napa Pro Select" filter is white and the "Napa Gold filter" is black. Both made by WIX out of Gastonia NC.

Looks like WIX changed thier color scheme a bit
smile.gif

I have noticed with several types of products that:
white indicates generic/standard/plain/basic/cheap, and
black indicates luxury/high class/expensive.
Looks can be deceiving but marketing sure knows its stuff. Everything I have seen shows Napa gold is better than Napa silver though..
You don't have to actually mark on the filters, an "id" scratch works too. I just keep a log of mileage/repairs/routine maintenance etc.

I know I don't have to mark the filters, but it is nice for a variety of reasons. I primarily like it to use when I fill out my UOA forms so I don't have to go on the computer to get my last record to fill that out. I buy my oil in big lots, so reciepts are often from months before. Of course, I also lost a computer hard drive and lost a lot of records that way too another time, now I maintain a hardcopy backup in addition to a digital backup.

Its also nice if a service department claims to do a service to be able to verify that it was done. I've caught more than 1 garage claiming to change filters (both oil and air) during various services. They didn't like it when I came back and showed them they had not and it was easy to show by the date and writing on the filter, not to mention different filter brands!

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
I just bought 2 master packs of Napa Gold 1515's and they are all white. I guess Dana Canada hasn't made the switch to black.

What exactly are the master packs?

I cut a black 51085 Wix open and it has steel end caps, a well built filter media with lots of pleats, steel bypass spring and silicon anti drain valvle. Looks like the last white 51515 filter I cut open which to me seems it is well made. I got worried for a moment. mikeyoilnutt

That's what Master Packs are - typically sold to fleets/jobbers.

And we are changing more than just the can color - packaging and labeling are going thru an update.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back