Good Cold weather oil for 1984 GL1200 Interstate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys

Have read tons and tons of stuff over couple years, I run Shell Rotella T HD Diesel oil 15w40 in my 84 Goldwing

Just in the cold spring here in moderately North Ontario (Muskoka/Haliburton) starter spins without engaging until running warm, this ios normal for this model BTW with the heavier oil

Being in Canada dont quite have the same choices as US guys

I dont want to spend a lot of money, I will be going back to the Rotella T 15w40 later in spring, but need a thinner oil for now

Anybody know about Moto Master Formula 1 standard motorcycle oil 10w40? Doesnt say J MA2 on it, but the question has been answered multiple times by can tire tech guy, swears it is, and read many places were it seems to be common knowledge

But would like to run it by you guys before putting it in for the first month of the season

In my Clymer manual from 1984, this is before they had the JAS MA2 names, and they just call for sae 10w40 with a few other options

Anybody in Canada know of a decent cheap 10W40 I can buy , or know about Motomaster formula 1

Suggestions

BTW I am of the school of thought that cheaper oil is fine when you change it as often as I, every 90 days, but want the right stuff for the clutch until I go back to the Rotella T 15W40 say first of June at latest

Nope. That's an American flavour. We get T5 as an overpriced 0W-40...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Can you get Rotella T in the 10w-30 weight up there?

Why not use Motomaster's 10w-30 HDEO that they sell? I'm sure that would be fine for the Spring. Wouldn't cost an arm & a leg, either. Of course GC would work but we're blowin' the price point. As was mentioned T6 would work but they want waaay too much money for it in our neck of the woods...

John

Thanks Guys, on my favorite Gold Wing forum, guys, or at least majority told me to avoid the Rotella Synthetic oils.

Many said Dello 400 one is OK, Whatever am leary of it

Moto Master 10w40 Motorcycle oil I was considering, did NOT see the 10w30 unless you are speaking of one that does not specifically say Motorcycle oil

I am assured the 10w40 motorcycle oil is JAS MA2, but it does not say on the bottle

Thanks guys taking all your advice in, appreciate it
smile.gif

Thanks I tried to view specs on it but could not

Here is what Can Tire on line tech guy says to questions asked by others....

MotoMaster Formula 1 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil is approved against the JASO MA standard. As such, it is suitable for use in wet clutch applications.

Does NOT say it on bottle though

The oil is not the problem it is the symptom, the over running clutch is the problem an is an expensive fix. A thinner oil will help in cold weather, but experiment until you find what works.

Some times taking the OR clutch apart and cleaning the rollers and engaging surface will help.

Smoky

Thanks

However in older Goldwings, the starter just does not engage due only to the thicker oil, nothing wrong, but appreciate the comments

Use your choice of a 5W-40 diesel engine oil. We haven't heard of one that doesn't work well. Or a 0W-40. These will be excellent in warm weather as well.

The guys who recommend against a Shell syn oil are wrong.

The starter fails to engage for a good reason. I can understand the thicker oil making the overrunning clutch (one-way clutch) fail to engage. If it gets worse, it is time to fix this clutch.

Quote:
BTW I am of the school of thought that cheaper oil is fine when you change it as often as I, every 90 days

False economy. The better oil that runs longer is both cheaper per mile and possibly better for the engine.

Thanks Ken

Just on the starter clutch, I hear what you and Smoky are saying absolutely! It`s just that in my case this is not the issue.

I am talking about 30 degrees F and under mostly, in those cases if I really plan on going out, rolling bike out of unheated garage into sunshine generally does the trick, I can always get it going, just that it`s obviously a little hard on the starter, spinning without engaging.

This is normal for the older Goldwings absolutely, the thinner oil in the colder months does the trick I am told, last year I managed fine in the cold months, but just decided that its a little more strain on starter than is necessary

Am sure it could always be better by ripping apart, but is just fine, I was warned about this before going to the 15W40

Thanks guys

As for the older Goldwings vs non Goldwings with certain types of Synthetic oils, that may be comparing apples to oranges

Early Goldwings dealt with many issues that have been corrected in latter models I understand

I ride an 84' GL1200 and an 81' GL1100 (not at the same time of course)at temperatures down into the 20's (F). I live in Virginia (US) and ride 120 months a year, weather permitting.

I have owned several other motorcycles over the past few decades, and since "discovering" the diesel oils, have been using Rotella T 15-40 in every motorcycle I've owned for about 5 years. I have no "proof" that these oils are working properly, other than whatever anecdotal evidence... things like how my MCs ride, feel and sound using these oils.. However, I have never had any oil related failures on motorcycles since using these products.

I'm currently experimenting a little with oils. I added DELO 400LE to the Gl1200 crankcase last oil & filter change, and I'm giong to run WalMart Supertech 15-40 "Diesel" oil in the GL1100 next change interval just to see. Oil analysis on the PQIA web site seem to indicate there's little or no difference between the Supertech and Rotella T.

Having said all this, I have only had the starter issue you've described on the absolutely coldest of mornings, and only once or twice all winter... probably on mornings when I should have driven the car.

If you can't keep the bike inside, or in a heated space, I'd suggest figuring out some form of block heater to at least warm the block to a temperature above freezing 0 C, or 32 F, as I do not ever seem to have starting issues above those temps. ...

I'd rather see a heater of some sort used, than suggest an oil that may be questionable when it comes to providing the recommended viscosity for you 'Wing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TomTownsend
I ride an 84' GL1200 and an 81' GL1100 (not at the same time of course)at temperatures down into the 20's (F). I live in Virginia (US) and ride 120 months a year, weather permitting.

I have owned several other motorcycles over the past few decades, and since "discovering" the diesel oils, have been using Rotella T 15-40 in every motorcycle I've owned for about 5 years. I have no "proof" that these oils are working properly, other than whatever anecdotal evidence... things like how my MCs ride, feel and sound using these oils.. However, I have never had any oil related failures on motorcycles since using these products.

I'm currently experimenting a little with oils. I added DELO 400LE to the Gl1200 crankcase last oil & filter change, and I'm giong to run WalMart Supertech 15-40 "Diesel" oil in the GL1100 next change interval just to see. Oil analysis on the PQIA web site seem to indicate there's little or no difference between the Supertech and Rotella T.

Having said all this, I have only had the starter issue you've described on the absolutely coldest of mornings, and only once or twice all winter... probably on mornings when I should have driven the car.

If you can't keep the bike inside, or in a heated space, I'd suggest figuring out some form of block heater to at least warm the block to a temperature above freezing 0 C, or 32 F, as I do not ever seem to have starting issues above those temps. ...

I'd rather see a heater of some sort used, than suggest an oil that may be questionable when it comes to providing the recommended viscosity for you 'Wing.

Thanks Tom for the really good info, much appreciated.

BTW I just ran with seafoam for a half day ride, changed oil, still cold mornings here have had no more issues recently, yes am running the MotoMaster 10w40 motorcycle oil that is in fact jaso ma

Also been doing some good reading buy guys with Goldwings that prefer ATF instead of seafoam, they say it does a good job, but lubricates as the seafoam does not

I have read old threads at this forum concerning seafoam, did not take part in them, only read, but they mostly ended in shouting matches from what I could see

Thanks for the good read
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back