Oil For 2014 Subaru Non-Turbo 2.5 Boxer Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny a 'scare tactic'. No, you need to carry an extra quart because if you go on a long trip and want synthetic 0W20 you better bring some because a lot of gas stations don't carry it.

Learn from my mistake and a lot of other >2011 Subaru Forester owners. Just my .2 cents, I know they eat oil first hand, not some kind of urban myth.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Go for it. Although I've never used the Mazda 0W-20, you will see a lot of positive reviews of it here. I started with M1 in my '13 Outback, which has the same engine, and switched to PP when I got a good rebate deal. I'm very happy with the PP. Engine starts easy in cold, and runs very quiet.

Originally Posted By: ColdCanuk
Watch for oil consumption.............

Notorious oil eaters, anything under 1 quart per 2000 miles is normal for Subaru.........look at the owners manual, carry extra oil.

Don't concern yourself greatly with this. This is way over exaggerated. While it does happen, it is fairly uncommon. I have almost 19,000 miles on mine, and have not needed to add any oil between the 7,500 mile OCI. On the Outback forum that I visit, most of us report no issues. Carry extra oil? This is scare tactics.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Not sure if it's my interpretation of some of these statements, but it looks like some of you believe that the oil consumption problems are only exxagerations.

SoA has released TSB's for some , but not all, of the oil guzzlers.
This includes Japanese built Foresters and Imprezas and U.S. built Legacy's and Outbacks. http://techinfo.subaru.com/static/whatsNew.html

Yes, there is an engine plant at SIA in Indiana.

Quote:
You'll get a glimpse at the engine plant where the famous Subaru BOXER engine is assembled.

http://www.subaru-sia.com/25th/index.html

-Dennis

Wow. I did not know that. It was my understanding that Subaru imported all their engines and transmissions. I know the engine and tranny on my Outback were built in Japan, as that was declared on my window sticker. This makes me curious as to which engine is built at SIA.

The FB25 engine doesn't seem picky about oil, though it's still pretty new and I haven't poked around the Forester boards for more info on it.

My mother's 2013 Legacy 2.5i has had both the Subaru branded Idemitsu 0w20 and now Mobil 1 AFE. No difference to report, no consumption with either.

My theory is a "scientifically hard" break-in reduces the chances of oil consumption. With low tension rings and 0w20, ring seating becomes critical. Unfortunately Subaru gives poor guidance on break-in in the manual.

Never overfill a Subaru engine, you end up with a PCV system filled with oil and maybe blown seals. Bad juju.

We drive our 2.5 very hard. Acceleration with the CVT is pretty anemic so we typically push 5000 RPM on freeway entrances to keep up with the 18 wheelers after < 3 min warm up.

So far zero oil consumption with Subaru (expensive), Mobil 1 AFE/ PP 0w-20 (usually $20 US w coupon) . All are good, there is no bad choice. I just bought whichever was on sale. How much is the Mazda oil in Ontario?

Also, many 3rd party filters do not have the correct bypass pressure (23 PSI) so check carefully if you don't use Subaru filters.

Last edited:
I also believe in the "scientifically hard" break in period. I believe in driving a car hard once it is warmed up during its break in period. I have had great luck with longevity and no issues with oil consumption in the past.

I have a 14 Forester with the 2.5 FB25. I followed this and still drive the car a little aggressively. I have not burned any noticeable oil at all in mine in 16k miles. It is NOT an oil burner. I do think people who "baby" their cars end up with oil burners for a reason....IMHO.

I am currently running Amsoil XL 0w20 at 7.5k OCI's. I use OEM Subaru Tokyo Roki Black oil filters. I bought 24 of them.....(stock up while you still can theory)

I have a 2014 XV Crosstrek with 15k on it. Have not seen any oil usage with FF, Toyota 0W20 or Royal Purple 0W20. Castrol Gold 0W20 in there now...guess we will see if this gets eaten at all

Hope to see some other Subaru rated filters soon......not a fan of the blue can

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I have a 2014 XV Crosstrek with 15k on it. Have not seen any oil usage with FF, Toyota 0W20 or Royal Purple 0W20. Castrol Gold 0W20 in there now...guess we will see if this gets eaten at all

Hope to see some other Subaru rated filters soon......not a fan of the blue can

Have you considered Wix or NAPA Gold? Not sure what the p/n is for the Crosstrek 2.0, but I know they make a filter with the higher valve pressure. That is what I am using on my Outback, and based upon the results of my recent UOA, I've found a real winner.

I've had my 2014 Forester with the 2.5 for almost a year, and with 11,000 miles, no more than half a quart between roughly 3750 mile OC's.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Curious, why the 3750 oil changes when the OEM OCI is 7500?

Subaru dealers love to push the 3,750 mile OCI. Even though my Legacy specs a 7,500 mile OCI in the manual, the dealer puts the reminder sticker on the windshield with the 3,750 mile interval every time.

The oil consumption is a phantom of the EJ... not really prevalent to identify a trend to say "yes, there is a problem"... like the old HG issue. While I will not say there is "not any 2.5 oil consumption issue" there is no real evidence that there is a issue either. Heck, we could be looking at some small issue between the boxer and lighter 0w20 oils... or something else completely.

The big thing with Subaru is matching the oil filter more than the oil itself. Subarus more a lot of oil around and need a higher bypass spec. Double-check any oil filter you might be purchasing to make sure it meets the subaru's demands (by-pass of 20-22+ psi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back