Why do people hate jury duty so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if they've never actually done it, most people seem to regard jury duty as somewhat less pleasant than, say, having a Gila monster clamp its venomous teeth into your hand. Why is this?

I just returned from a morning at civil district court as part of the jury pool. The accommodations while we waited weren't bad, I've known worse; we had free coffee and wi-fi. The judge was pleasant, too. Now I can understand if your income would be severely affected by having to serve, or if you have medical issues, etc. But the court has made things quite easy for us: We call a number the night before to see if we have to report. In fact, now that we've been there and been excused from a case, we don't need to call about our second week's service until this Sunday. Yet everybody in the pool acted as though that ol' Gila monster was eying their legs and feet, ready to bite.

So, is it just that we resent having to sit quietly like fourth-graders while people talk at us?

I enjoy it. The first (and only time) I was called to jury duty, it ended up being for a capital murder trial. I was the last guy picked from the pool during the seating of the first 10. The prosecution liked my answers to their questions. The defense attorney did not. I was excused.

I enjoy exposure to the legal system...probably because I've never really seen much of it. I'd love to sit on a jury of a property dispute case or a civil case. I'll admit to not really caring for 1st degree murder trials.

I only got to do it one time but I enjoyed it. However, I get my regular pay and there was free wifi, lunch breaks, free soda, done by 3:30 every day. I got to take public transit which was terrible but I wanted to experience it. And the trial was interesting.

During jury selection the question was asked "how many people think it's ok to have a couple beers and drive home" and I held my hand up yes giving the benefit of the doubt one would still be under the legal limit and capable of driving. Only 3 others out of 30 did the same. Amazingly I still got chosen for the DUI case.

I have had a it a few times.

it isnt bad but beware, I had to commute 50 miles for a Federal case, I was impaneled and was told I could be showing up ever day for 8 months.

The case was a drug case where 50 co-defendants were arrested after smugling in 20 tons of cocaine into a small airport outside of Boston. after the first day, half the defendants werent there and the jury was instructed not to infer anything.
After another 4 days of tesitmony we were told not report back and that the defendants had negotiated a plea. My guess it didnt look good in their mind so the negotiated a lesser charge.

Note, anyone impaneled, the jusdge didnt care if you had a vacation planned and trip booked etc, too bad so sad LOL

I have been on other cases but they lasted about two days each, fortunately havent been called in 14 years
smile.gif

I have a very unique job and jury duty would be a hardship for me. A good analogy would be like asking a farmer to do jury duty during planting season.

When I retire, I hope to make up for some of the civil responsibilities I feel I have shirked over my lifetime. If not, I try to do little things along the way to make up for the deficiencies. How can our justice system even attempt to work if we don't contribute. It's kind of like our voting responsibility.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country."

I think this can be a difficult mindset to have.

Also, it can feel as though you're being forced against your will to do something. And no matter how inoffensive that thing is, we do not like to be forced to do anything.

I've only been called once, and only had to go for a day as the case didn't go to trial, my job still paid me for the day for sitting at the courthouse. Basically though, that just means I had an extra day's work waiting for me when I got back. Not going to say I hate it but it would be inconvenient, just means I had to work extra hours during the week or an extra day that week to make up the work.

I've been called for jury duty three times in the county I live in. I don't dislike it, but I don't look forward to it either.

Twice I've had to report to the courthouse in town which sucks. The courthouse is too small to accommodate the jury pool. So we have to wait outside, which in the summer can be close to 100F. I'm glad that they closed the courthouse. Even the courthouse staff hated it.

I will say that the courthouse staff tries their best to be accommodating and pleasant. They know that most people don't want to be there. Even the judges are pleasant which makes for a good experience.

I was once chosen to be the juror no. 13 (alternate). I had to sit through the entire 5 day trial and when the time came, I wasn't allowed to deliberate.

In CA we have the "call the number" deal as well. I've gotten out of jury duty because of it. I called the night before and the message is to call the next day after 10am. They also stress NOT to stay home from work. I call the next day and I'm instructed to report to the courthouse in 30 minutes. No way, Jose. I work 65 miles away and will not make it. I was told to come in the next day and they'll sign me off.

One thing that is irritating about the "call the number" deal. They need to get a person that speaks clear English to record those messages. I can usually make out what is being said. But sometimes I simply cannot understand the instructions and I've had to call back and listen to the Spanish version to get the drift of the message. And I'm not capable of conversational Spanish.

Everyone loves to talk about civic responsibility and rights.

When it comes to actually DOING something about those ideas, most people back off real quick.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

When it comes to actually DOING something about those ideas, most people back off real quick.

Agree, but each person can contribute in a different way. Some people are just not cut out for jury duty, but might be well-suited to another thing.

I was called for jury duty last month. After calling in for 3 days I had to go to the court house and after sitting in the jury room all day, I was excused. I don't mind being put on a jury as I'm retired, But I don't think the lawyers want the old grey hairs as I wasn't the only one dismissed that is retired.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Agree, but each person can contribute in a different way. Some people are just not cut out for jury duty, but might be well-suited to another thing.

very true, very true...

I am not sure if there is an age associated with jury duty, I am a college student, jury duty would screw me over...but when and If I ever retire I would love to do it.

Economic hardships...most people I know barely have time to exercise, forget anything else.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: dparm

very true, very true...

I am not sure if there is an age associated with jury duty, I am a college student, jury duty would screw me over...but when and If I ever retire I would love to do it.

Economic hardships...most people I know barely have time to exercise, forget anything else.

I got called for jury duty while I was in school across the country. I had to say, "sorry, I am out of state and cannot return" and they gave me a pass.

If I had time I wouldn't mind doing it, but since I work for myself it can be a bit of a PITA.

My mother was on a grand jury. She's retired...but it was brutal for her fellow jurors, because they were impaneled for TWENTY MONTHS! One of them lost a promotion because he had to take so much time off. Another seriously considered MOVING out of the county to get out of it! Bonus: every day she was there, it cost her about $35! (The daily "stipend" didn't even pay for parking.)

I will do WHATEVER I need to do to get out of jury duty. I cannot put my life on hold for several months (or a year!), I just can't do it.

Jury duty for me means sitting around the courthouse all day long for no reason. They are never going to pick me in a million years to sit on a jury.

Hit & miss jury parking after all the stop & go traffic getting there. If no parking in jury lot, pay parking (they give a pass), then walk even further dodging half asleep bumper to bumper traffic trying to get in a hurry.
Don't get there extra early, standing only (no seats).
No coffee or nothing.
Best to bring a lunch as not much close offered, then what there is, usually a line of people standing, now no time to eat and get back in time.
Usually get out stuck in very bad traffic trying to get home. Can sit for periods on the freeway. Rude drivers too.
Then, usually, get to do it again next morning.
And the mean looking ol lady that works there... yikes, ya get to see her again.

Wouldn't be so bad if they would re-locate to make the struggle to/from a little more friendly, and half decent close places to park & eat. And must have half decent coffee or bring a vacuum bottle I guess) - oh.... more bathroom breaks would be a big plus when I'm full of it.

Next county over... a very different more easy scene by a long shot... and they get up to 1&1/2 hour lunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back