Castrol 0W30 vs 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I guess we need to do a VOA on the latest batches of Edge 0w-30 and 0w-40 here in the US to see if anything's changed recently on this side of the pond. The 0w-30 VOA we have is a few years old.

My Edge 0w40 VOA is only 11 months old. Spec sheet hasn't changed since then, so I doubt you need a new analysis.

Originally Posted By: dparm
GC hasn't been GC for a while now.

The GC craze died some time ago. It wasn't the magic elixir that it was thought to be.

One of the original proponents that promoted it much claimed no oil use as the level on the dipstick never changed throughout the OCI.

After an OCI he drained what he put in and there was quite a difference between the amount that when in and what come out (a little too short on the volume)

Clearly his vehicle had been using oil all the time whilst on GC what was never explained or I could not find any post with an explanation was why the level on the oil dipstick never moved.

After this discovery / admission the GC craze slowly died. This was just after many BITOG members contributed much money to have the oil analysed so that the composition of the oil could be known.

GC was always GC IMO its what we were led to believe in innocence inadvertently about an overrated oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
The GC craze died some time ago. It wasn't the magic elixir that it was thought to be.

One of the original proponents that promoted it much claimed no oil use as the level on the dipstick never changed throughout the OCI.

After an OCI he drained what he put in and there was quite a difference between the amount that when in and what come out (a little too short on the volume)

Clearly his vehicle had been using oil all the time whilst on GC what was never explained or I could not find any post with an explanation was why the level on the oil dipstick never moved.

Your comments are completely non-sensical.

Scott

I have a couple of thoughts here.

1. I hear the mention of Titanium in the 0w30 or 0w40 Castrol but what i see in the store is the black bottle 0w40 and my understanding is the gold bottles have the titanium. So not sure our USA version has any titanium again VOAs I'm sure confirm this.

2. The GC 0w30 is now Belgium and the 0w40 is made in Germany so the 0w40 is the new GC? Ha ha.

I have been on the fence about using this oil. I have been using M1 0w40 and on paper the specs seem better on the M1 better VI better base TBN to name 2.

So without the usual use whatever is cheaper answer is there really any reason why i should even try this new GC or just stick with the M1?

What would the pros of this oil be over the M1? If any?

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
1. I hear the mention of Titanium in the 0w30 or 0w40 Castrol but what i see in the store is the black bottle 0w40 and my understanding is the gold bottles have the titanium. So not sure our USA version has any titanium again VOAs I'm sure confirm this.

According to the latest TDS, all Castrol Edge Syntec grades (the black bottles) now contain titanium. Some newer black jugs on store shelves already show the word "TITANIUM" on them. It's probably just a matter of time before we see the updated graphics on the 0w-40 jugs as well...

P1010357.jpg

Quote:

So without the usual use whatever is cheaper answer is there really any reason why i should even try this new GC or just stick with the M1?

What would the pros of this oil be over the M1? If any?

Some people still claim that M1 makes their engines noisy. If that is not the case with your engine, and you don't care about the price difference, then I'd say there is no reason for you to use Castrol 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

Your comments are completely non-sensical.

Scott

You were not here during the GC made in Belgium hype. These comments maybe non-sensical to new members such as yourself, those that are still around know what I am talking about.

In summary GC made in Belgium was not the magic its touted to be however the illusion lives on. No doubt is a quality oil.

In short part of the GC hype commenced around a member of BITOG claiming the level of the oil his dipstick never moved after he started using GC made in Belgium, this later proved to be inaccurate.

I will not give you a BITOG history lesson here, you search back on the topic if have the time.

I will not take any more space on this thread I was just trying to dispel some myth to "the GC made in Belgium hoo-hah" I keep reading from time to time.

GC 0W30 was the best all around oil for Euro application.
It had very, very good pour point, and it was almost 40 grade. Due to the weight, it was reaching temperature faster then 0W40 M1 or any other 40 oil. Also, I used it for years, and it was much quieter oil then M1, and had better cold start.
I think personally Castrol made mistake with 0W40 oil. They want to compete with established M1 0W40, instead of going with 5qt jugs of 0W30, to offer something different.
Also, one of the problem Castrol has are pds sheets. When I look at m1 sheet I know what I am buying. With little research you knew what you buying with 0W30 GC. Now no one knows what is HTHS of this 0W40 GC, what is pour point etc.

Back in my VW days, I preferred GC over M0w40.

Ironically, I am back to M1 with the Benz. But it is an elixir of 0w40 and 0w20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
There isn't much difference between the 30 and 40.

Ones a thin 40 the others a thick 30 and everything else is the same.

I do not think so. There are several castrol's 0W40 and we have no idea which one we are getting.

In short part of the GC hype commenced around a member of BITOG claiming the level of the oil his dipstick never moved after he started using GC made in Belgium, this later proved to be inaccurate.

Sir, the issue I have is not about BC vs GC, per se. What I am saying is that your anecdotal statement, quoted above, is non-sensical. To paraphrase from your original mention of this, you said "the oil level never changed on the dipstick over the course of the OCI. But then this person drained the oil and found that less drained out than he had original put in."

So this person concluded that BC was bad because his motor lost oil when using it. What does "lost" mean in this context? Burned it? Leaked it? Evaporated it?

Please enlighten me;

1) Why would the dipstick's oil level measurement never change if the oil level had indeed dropped from a properly measured fresh fill? This scenario makes no sense what-so-ever.

Perhaps this person was the guy on E46Fanatics who recently asked if he should check his oil level - via dipstick - with the engine running or turned off. I won't explain further except to say that all E46s are wet sumps.

2) If the oil level hadn't changed on the dipstick, why would anyone drain their oil and measure how much came out?

What this suggests to me is that this person measured the oil at drain time so they could determine how much oil was required for the refill. Basically, they didn't know their vehicles capacities.

In summary, even though I've used GC 0W-30 and now use BC 0W-30, that's not to say that I think Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum are inferior oils. In my opinion, ALL BRAND NAME oils are so good I don't think it truly matters what brand oil you use, so long as it meets the specs required for your particular application.

It's analogous to why I like to drink my particular brand of beer or label of wine. Are my choices really any "better" than the brands and labels that other people drink? No. My choices are made simply because I have a brand/label preference. It's all good.

GC/BC has many satisfied users. So does Mobil 1, Pennzoil, etc. To say that GC/BC was, or has become, a bad oil based on your anecdotal comments about a dipstick level not changing is not a compelling argument on you part.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that thread, do you?

Scott

All:

For the benefit of those interested, I will get a Blackstone VOA on BC 0W-30 and GC 0W-40. I already have a stash of sample containers and I already have both oils in my stash.

Give me a week or so to do this. The first half of my week is pretty crazy.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
All:

For the benefit of those interested, I will get a Blackstone VOA on BC 0W-30 and GC 0W-40.

Thank you sir. Just make sure the 0w-40 is the latest "made in Germany" one. We already have a VOA of the "made in Belgium" one, courtesy of dparm.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thank you sir. Just make sure the 0w-40 is the latest "made in Germany" one. We already have a VOA of the "made in Belgium" one, courtesy of dparm.

QP, yep, will do. I will include the date codes as well. Just for grins I may do a VOA for the 0W-20 Syntec as well. I know it's an A1/B1 so I'm comparing apples-to-oranges. But it'll take no more time to VOA it, just a few more dollars.

Scott

Yup. It'd be nice if these VOAs confirm that Syntec does in fact now contains titanium. Not that I think it matters much when it comes to the oil's performance. After all, all these Syntec oils still meet the same oil specs as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back