2006 Vibe/Matrix OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owners manual suggests a 5w-30 conventional to be changed every 5k miles or 3 months.

Current fill is Valvoline next-gen 5w-20. I used the 5w-20 during our winter months. It's been in about 6 months as of today. Has about 1800 miles on it. Pro-tek (wix) filter was used. I did some research and this engine allows for 5w-20 in newer applications (no change in design).

My operating conditions are as follows; Extreme short trip 95% of the time, with a 10 mile trip that takes about 25 minutes once a month. Car was idled for 2-4 minutes before driving off all winter. Current oil looks nicely yellow amber, but smells of fuel and is VERY thin feeling. (It drips off the dipstick).

Oh bitog minds, what should I do?

With 95% short trips and a smell of fuel in very thin oil, suggest you shorten your oil change interval to 3 months or 4,000 miles.

Replacing the PCV valve is also prudent and likely due for servicing as well.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Owners manual suggests a 5w-30 conventional to be changed every 5k miles or 3 months.

I did some research and this engine allows for 5w-20 in newer applications (no change in design).

5k miles or 6 months.

Did Toyota issue a service bulletin with 5w-20 being acceptable?

I just opened a 2008(last year for 1ZZ-FE in USA) Toyota Corolla Manual and 5w-30 is suggested by Toyota.

I have the 1ZZ-FED, and I would only use the suggested 5w-30 from the owner's manual.

once a week take it on the highway and do a few wide open throttles aka italian tune ups, that's what I did when I got a rough idle, has been smooth idling since then. It should burn off excess fuel as well. Also there is no benefit to the car to idle your car when cold to warm up before driving as well, that is also stated in the owner's manual. Just go easy for the first 3-5 mins of the drive is all.

I would follow Toyota's 5k/6month interval with your extreme short trip driving style. Use the cheapest conventional oil available.

As far as availability is concerned, $12.72 for a 5 Quart Super Tech jug or $12.97 for a 5 quart Mobil Super jug at walmart currently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back