Heater core leak- stop-leak products???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a heater core leak on my 95 BMW. Big-big/expensive job to remove heater core. Do any of the "stop-leak" products work without clogging the radiator or engine?

Yes those that use ginger root. GM tabs, Bars Leak tabs (same product) and Subaru cooling system conditioner by Holts are three that come to mind.
In the BMW i would use 2 bottles (they are small) of the Subaru stuff and 4 tabs of the others.
Crush the tabs first into a powder before putting it into the system.

GM cooling system tabs and Subaru are available at the dealer Bars leak possibly at a parts store or online.
None of these will clog.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yes those that use ginger root. GM tabs, Bars Leak tabs (same product) and Subaru cooling system conditioner by Holts are three that come to mind.
In the BMW i would use 2 bottles (they are small) of the Subaru stuff and 4 tabs of the others.

GM cooling system tabs and Subaru are available at the dealer Bars leak possibly at a parts store or online.
None of these will clog.

Thank you. Which are the best? I have heard the GM tabs are good.

All are equally effective from what i have seen. GM tabs are probably the easiest to get.
Post back and let us know how it worked out.

Barsleaks is available almost everywhere (like Walmart). It is the same thing as GM stuff I'm told. They used to advertise that most auto makers install it at the factory so I'm sure it's not harmful. I used it in my old GM 3.1 as a preventative for the intake manifold gasket leak and never had a problem. It comes in powder and tabs.

Make sure to use the pills and not the bottle with liquid in it. The liquid will just plug up everything. Also...no stop leak is effective on plastic parts so if its a plastic tank leaking it wont fix it.

Originally Posted By: Trav

None of these will clog.

I got the GM tabs. Just want to verify how many to use. My coolant system capacity is 11.3 quarts. Thanks for your help.

^^ 5 tabs, crush them and you should be GTG. Just be sure to add them to a cold engine, and run it with the heat on full blast until the engine is good and warmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back