Dodge 1500 new diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most new cars are stretching it out to 10k oci on 0w-30. Weird though that they would for 5w-30. I would not go that long personally.

Maybe its a 8L sump?
Probably its spec'd for some half decent oil though. I imagine in europe they have an OCI of atleast that long too.

My VW diesel Passat (2013) specs 10,000 mile oil changes on a 5W-30 low SAPS oil. I use the recommended Castroll LL03 Professional.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Maybe its a 8L sump?
Probably its spec'd for some half decent oil though. I imagine in europe they have an OCI of atleast that long too.

Yea it has big sump 10.6 qt ,if that's 8l, according to amsoil site.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
New Ram 1500 V-6 Diesel specs 5w-30 oil with 10k mile OCIs????

Is that for NORMAL freeway driving?

The new Dodge diesel in the 1/2 ton could easily go 10K with 5w30 spec oil. Detroit, with their DD15 engine has a recommended 50K OCI using either 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, or 15w40. They are factory filling now with 10w30. Now that is a 14.8L engine that would regularly be having to move 80K lb GCVW around the nation. Does anyone think that a 5w30 in the diesel in the Dodge 1/2 ton wouldn't work for 10K? I sure would have no problem with it.

There are plenty of 5w-30 grade HDEO oils from Castrol, Mobil, Amsoil, etc. All are some form of syn that I'm aware of. I would caution to make sure a fully qualified lube is used on such an expensive motor while under warranty.

I see that 10k mile OCI on HDEO as an easy, conservative target for the new little ram motor. My Dmax can easily go 10k on the IOLM, regardless of which oil is in the sump (as long as it's CI-4 or greater for my LBZ). On a "oil volume per displacement basis" the little Ram motor actually carries more oil than my Dmax. I have slightly less oil volume (10 qts) and more than twice the displacement. I've not seen many UOAs on the 3.0 VM motor yet, and I'd have to wait to see quite a few before knowing how well they fare statistically, but having such a large sump for 3.0L certainly is going to help keep things low on a "ppm" basis.

Sadly, (sigh ...) some folks will still OCI this newer engine at 5k miles repeatedly, because it's "better" and "cheap insurance".

Last edited:
Time to blow the dust and cobwebs off of the old time thinking that every 3-5k is best. Anything less than 10k on this little motor would be wasteful. I am just guessing here.

Just test drove the new Ram 1500 4x4 with the Eco Diesel..

EPIC FAIL!

Within 5 miles an extremely annoying noise was coming from under hood and the low coolant light came on. The truck was overheating and the noise was the electric fan is HIGH mode. It sounded like a jet preparing for take off..
And, the DEF tank is only 1/2 full from factory..

Way to go Dodge and Ram...NOT!

Last edited:
The low SAPS BMW 5W-30 intended for their new 320d would be a good choice.

A trip to the BMW dealer would be in order.

But it would be top notch oil.

The dealer would use Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30. I believe they recommend 10k if using up to B5, or 8k using B5-B20.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
New Ram 1500 V-6 Diesel specs 5w-30 oil with 10k mile OCIs????

I think this goes back to two items, 5W30 will achieve the fuel economy targets, 10k miles OCI they want to show this vehicle has a lower cost of maintenance. The sump does carry 2 gallons.

I'm using Rotella T5 10W30 in my ecodiesel GC since 1500 miles. Should have a UOA in May.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The low SAPS BMW 5W-30 intended for their new 320d would be a good choice.

A trip to the BMW dealer would be in order.

But it would be top notch oil.

VW 507 oil might also be a good match.

Either way, you would be going to a dealer to get that oil.

I would suggest going to a website that specializes in European cars to get a good deal on light duty low SAPS diesel engine oils. I saved money on a different kind of oil (DCTF) by going to blauparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back