Motorcraft filter question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the Motorcraft oil filter equivelant to the Mobil One M1-204 filter I just put on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Inline 6? Not interested in the longer FL1-A, just the standard size. Thanks.

[ February 18, 2005, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: dbrasco68 ]

I was about to ask this myself until I went to Autozone to investigate. I checked the FL1A and the FL300 and they're identical in every way except for length-the FL300 is the same length as a factory spec 4.0 filter.

Well, I will say I had a FL1A in my left hand and a FL300 in the right and they were physically the same filter aside from their lengths. Highly scientific stuff here. The FL200 must be a shorter version of the FL300 no?
wink.gif

Just checked the www.pureoil.com site and ran a cross reference for the Purolator Premium Plus L14670 I run on my 1997 4.0 TJ. I put in FL300 and it spit out the L14670 Purolator, so the FL300 is indeed a direct replacement for the 4.0.

The FL200 is the "shorter version" of the FL1A. Fram, I know
rolleyes.gif
, stated that their equivilant to the FL200, I think it's the PH16 is totally interchangable with their PH8, the FL1A equivalent. They have the same bypass settings, threads, can diameter, gasket diameter, etc. The can is just shorter. I use the FL200 in my 1996 Contour with the 2.0L Zetec 4 cyl. Advance Auto has them for $4.68. Which is less than Purolater PureOne's. They also have the Purolater Premium and their Purolater made red can house brand. The house brand is $2.48. It's essentially the Purolater Premium. Even the numbers stamped on the can are similar.

Whimsey

For clearance reasons, the FL300 (PH16) is specified as the filter for the Mustang 5.0 when the oil cooler is installed.

If no oil cooler, the FL1A (PH8A) is the filter specified.

quote:

Originally posted by 99:
Well, I will say I had a FL1A in my left hand and a FL300 in the right and they were physically the same filter aside from their lengths. Highly scientific stuff here. The FL200 must be a shorter version of the FL300 no?
wink.gif

Exactness is in the eye of the holder..or some nonsense like that
grin.gif
. While they may have looked exact except for length are the bypass settings and gasket dimensions identical for the FL300 and FL1A like they are for the FL200 and FL1A? maybe in the past Jeep 4.0 owners who were looking for a larger filter used the FL1A because it physically fit. Even though the shorter FL300 spec's are different. I don't know
dunno.gif
? Hey! But I believe Fram
wink.gif
grin.gif
!

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:

quote:

Originally posted by 99:
wink.gif

Exactness is in the eye of the holder..or some nonsense like that
grin.gif
. While they may have looked exact except for length are the bypass settings and gasket dimensions identical for the FL300 and FL1A?

The gaskets are the same, and the baseplates are the same to a T. Who knows what the bypass settings are on the FL1A...not me. But I will say that the FL1A is one of the most popular oversized filters used on the 4.0 and nobody has tossed a rod yet using it, so the bypass must be within Jeep's spec. Anyways, trust me, the filters are physically identical minus the length. Go down to your local Autozone and check for yourself. Lastly, seeing how Purolator says the FL300 is a direct cross reference to their standard sized 4.0 filter, it's very safe to say that it's got the right bypass spec, etc for the 4.0. Now if you choose to believe Fram over Purolator, that's your choice.
tongue.gif

crushedcar.gif

[ February 23, 2005, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: 99 ]

No one buys the FL-1A... I bought ought the stock from several Walmarts. FL-820-S, OTOH, sells like hotcakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back