Napa Syn 5w/30 5007 miles 65126 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on my 2011 Silverado with the 5.3 with active fuel management. I duno what is going on. I hope if it is going to die it does it before the waranty is out. When I do tow it is alot and sometimes more that what I should with a half ton but it isn't that often. It does idle for about 20 mins when it is cold.

Quote:
JACOB: Well, copper has improved, but everything else has increased. Aluminum and iron are now high enough to mark, showing some wear at the pistons and steel parts. Aluminum could also come from the bearings, if this particular engine has aluminum bearings. Still, these increases are not what we'd expect to see after a similar oil run as last time. Have there been any operational changes? A lot of heavy towing maybe? The thin viscosity usually isn't a problem, and insolubles will be something to watch next time. The TBN's okay at 3.2. Stick with 5,000 miles.

Code:

OIL Napa Syn 5w/30 Napa Synthetic 5w/30

MILES IN USE 5007 5000

MILES 65126 60000

SAMPLE TAKEN 1/5/14 9/22/13

MAKE UP OIL 1QT 1qt

ALUMINUM 7 4

CHROMIUM 2 1

IRON 34 18

COPPER 76 100

LEAD 2 0

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 4 2

NICKEL 1 1

MANGANESE 1 1

SILVER 1 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 8 3

BORON 10 0

SILICON 11 3

SODIUM 436 350

CALCIUM 2080 2183

MAGNESIUM 9 8

PHOSPHORUS 714 763

ZINC 833 857

BARIUM 0 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 53.8 57.6

cSt @ 100ºC 8.41 9.53

FLASHPOINT ºF 415 440

Fuel%
Antifreeze% 0.0 0.0

Water% 0.0 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.6 0.3

TBN 3.2 3.0

Here is my last uoa:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you owned this since new? Is it possible someone used an additive with copper such as csl before you owned it?
Looks like its shearing down, perhaps a heavier weight when towing would help?

Last edited:
I ave owned it since new and it had had this brand and weight since new.

The uoa of this same oil that i just posted of my wifes car also shows some viscosity loss.

Last edited:
I have some of the napa on my shelf, for the olds. Based on the shearing in yours, i probably will not use it in the avalanche. I'm using 5w30 qsud, but i have not done a uoa on it.

Last edited:
Not that bad of a UOA on this particular engine design.

As for being dexos1 certified, isn't Valvoline Synpower licensed? Isn't this just Ashland rebadging for NAPA?

BTW, what was the OLM %?

Last edited:
When I bought this truck there were no oils that mentioned dexos on the bottle. I went to napa one day and saw this oil on sale. I ordered several cases and the ones I ordered were the first oil I saw that said dexos on the bottle. Although it said exceeds dexos 1 spec but dexos none the less so that is what I stocked up on and have used ever since. The debate over the dexos standard isn't even as old as this truck. I don't think I will have an issue with that story.

Originally Posted By: MedicRxDoc
Not that bad of a UOA on this particular engine design.

As for being dexos1 certified, isn't Valvoline Synpower licensed? Isn't this just Ashland rebadging for NAPA?

BTW, what was the OLM %?

It is made by Ashland.

I don't remember what the olm read exactly. Usually in the 40's after 5000 miles

I do need to get the tsb related to the afm and oil usage done. It has to do with oil pan baffles and PVC baffles and freeing coked rings. Maybe that is some of the issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those Silverado truck engines never do good on thin oil.

They desperately need a 40 weight.

^This^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back