Napa syn 5w/30 4898 miles 10493 miles Travese

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Chevy traverse. This has the 3.6 dohc direct inject engine.

Quote:
JACOB: Copper is reading a bit above the universal average, but our bet is that this is just residual from the break-in period. This looks to be only the second or third oil change, and it can take a while for copper to come down when an engine is new. We'll look for copper to improve next time. The other wear metals already look pretty good compared to averages, which are based on about 5,400 miles on the oil. A trace of fuel and slightly thin viscosity isn’t a big deal. The TBN was 3.4, still active additive left. Try around 6,000miles for the next fill.

Code:

OIL Napa Syn 5w/30

MILES IN USE 4898

MILES 10493

SAMPLE TAKEN 1/5/14

MAKE UP OIL 0QT

ALUMINUM 5

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 22

COPPER 19

LEAD 0

TIN 6

MOLYBDENUM 12

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 2

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 5

BORON 13

SILICON 18

SODIUM 327

CALCIUM 1940

MAGNESIUM 10

PHOSPHORUS 670

ZINC 769

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 51.9

cSt @ 100ºC 7.84

FLASHPOINT ºF 365

Fuel% TR(?????)

Antifreeze% 0.0

Water% 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.3

TBN 3.4

Still not broken in but the Napa Syn doesn't look like its as good a fit for your engine as it appears to be for other's.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Iron and Copper are too high -- get a different oil.

On a 5,000 mile OCI and a 10,000 mile vehicle? What would you like to see those numbers at?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
On a 5,000 mile OCI and a 10,000 mile vehicle? What would you like to see those numbers at?

I'd like to see copper and aluminum at zero and iron about 7.

Good luck on a vehicle with its second oil change from factory fill. If you ever buy a brand new vehicle and plan on doing a UOA at the first or second OCI, please buy some insurance and make me the beneficiary; I'll even pay the premium and UOA fee. When you have your fatal stroke, I'll cash in.
wink.gif

That's not a 30 weight no more -- that's a 20 weight.

Learning here...so I have a question
which numbers on the report- tell you that its now a 20 weight?

(on a side note- waiting on my 2013 3.6L DI UOA results- from my Equinox).

Originally Posted By: Garak

I'd like to see copper and aluminum at zero and iron about 7.

I don't think even the world's best built engines produce numbers like that at 10k on unit.

Unfortunately for the OP, he is forced to use 5w30 to keep his warranty.

10w30 is a much better fit.

Last edited:
Castrol GTX Dexos Syn Blend is a 5w30 that thinks it's a 10w30, could be a good match for this engine.

I will be installing it in our KIA in about 500 miles for the same reason, looking forward to see how it works out.

The hard part about it is that I still have 3 cases of this oil left. It isnt turning out good uoas on my truck either but atleased that is looking like an issue with the truck.

The hard part about it is that I still have 3 cases of this oil left. It isnt turning out good uoas on my truck either but atleased that is looking like an issue with the truck.

That's the problem with a stash, it makes it hard to try new things. And it seems there is always something new to try, or another great sale before your stash is gone.

I have whittled mine down but am still working on it.

Time to stock up again! NAPA has it on sale rite now for $3.49qt!It may not be the best oil in the world but at that price you can't beat it!

As Garak has advised, at 10k miles, the engine is not broken in yet and wear numbers will be high. Napa/Valvoline has shown good wear numbers on other d.i. applications. Give it another go or if you don't feel comfortable, try something else, dexos certified, like the GTX blend mentioned by KCJeep.

Agreed nothing wrong here. The engine just needs more break in miles.

5W30's just shear. GM's engineers have taken this into account.

Other than the viscosity I think this is a good report for an engine with only 10K-ish miles on it. But it's a DI engine, so the low viscosity maybe can't be helped with Xw30. It didn't seem to hurt anything.

I just changed the oil yesterday in this vehicle but didn't take a sample. It was also a 5000 mile run. I am going to keep using this oil until it is all gone and then re evaluate what to do.

Btw this is an oil sample from January that I took a while to send in and then took a while to post the results.

Last edited:
I'm thinking modern day engines that are manufactured to such strict tolerances - shouldn't shed that much metal. Obviously the OP can do what he wants, but if it were my car and I was going to get another UOA in the future anyway, I'd try a different oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back