176k mile Sentra tranny pic (nothing exciting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing my spring fluids change today. I hadn't put a new tranny filter on my '06 Sentra after I bought it a little over a year ago, so one's going on now. I just did a drain/fill last year. Not sure if the original owner ever serviced the transmission, as there is still an orange coating of some sort of silicon on all the pan bolts. Pretty shiny for 176,000 miles. Giving MaxLife Synthetic a try in it.
13673077923_e04a5b4e74_z.jpg

looks nice and clean. how was the fluid last year when you changed it ? sounds like the other owner may not have had the pan down if the bolts were still sealed, unless they used an extractor for a fluid exchange.

Isn't that 'filter' just a rock catcher? I hate how Nissan dosen't use real trans filters.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
Isn't that 'filter' just a rock catcher? I hate how Nissan dosen't use real trans filters.

But after 176K miles, it's still working. Obviously they win.

Here's the backside of the filter. There was a good amount of black goo on the two pan magnets and a film of it on the rest of the pan. And with as crispy as the pan gasket was, I'm fairly sure it was factory. I don't recall the condition of the fluid last year that came out, but when I drained it today, it was more of a reddish-brown tint. My records show I added 4 qts of Amsoil ATF last year, so I'm guessing with 16k miles put on it in that time, it was a little more on the brown side last year. One thing for sure, Nissan loves their bolts! 12 on the gasket and 21 on the pan.

13674267255_bd3060f789_z.jpg

Originally Posted By: Azeem
Originally Posted By: Nayov

But after 176K miles, it's still working. Obviously they win.

Exactly, a filter might be preferable over a screen, but at 176K you really can't argue that Nissan made a poor choice putting a "rock catcher" in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back