Dewalt brand loyal no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been a dewalt guy for a while, I try to distinguish myself from other guys I work with ( they have Makita, ridgid, bosch, milwaukee ). Seems like more people stick to a brand, that's a good idea prevents tools and batteries from getting mixed up. Dewalt has had decent quality tools, ive had good luck with their cordless line (18v and 20v ).

Last year in march I purchased one of those new compact corded sawzalls, last week while I was cutting a 2X4 the shaft that holds the blade snapped.
I had owned a 10 Amp dewalt sawzall prior to that and it lasted me for a good 6 years, Im disappointed at dewalt, I went to Home depot the other day and they don't even stock that compact model anymore.
I went ahead and bought one of those one handed ridgid sawzalls, anyone here uses them ?

Also ordered a bosch from amazon, in case one of them breaks in the middle of a project.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RS7-1-1-8-In...s=bosch+sawzall

I have used the Bosch, but had some trouble with the quick change blade system, the blade would come detached if I really put pressure on (in the heat of the job)

Let us know what you think of the Ridgid, and don't forget to register it for the lifetime warranty!

I recently bought a RIDGID 12V drill/flashlight combo, and they would not accept my Lifetime Warranty registration online, even though I had the proper documentation. Ended up having to send in the UPC and receipt by certified mail. After many weeks, they finally contacted me and said my warranty had been approved.

Didn't have that trouble last year when I bought my RIDGID 18V drill/impact/radio combo for work.

Sawzall... Why buy anything but Milwaukee??

Good luck with the new tools, might be a nice review of all of them after getting some use.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Sawzall... Why buy anything but Milwaukee??

You state that as if it's obvious why no one should buy anything but a Milwaukee.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The only Sawzall's I've ever seen are Milwaukee. Other brands are Reciprocating saw's.

Precisely. Over the last 20 years that I have had mine, I've felt that Makita makes a good reciprocating saw.

Yeah I agree with the Milwaukee when it comes to sawzalls, I had been looking at that Bosch on amazon for a while, that price was too good to pass , used to be around $100 a few months ago, I got it for $70.
Milwaukee comes to mind when thinking sawzall.
Bosch comes to mind when thinking rotary hammer.

DeWalt is owned by Black & Decker. The same outfit that bought Price Pfister and cheapened it.
I have had good luck with Harbor Freight Sawzall knockoffs...and you dont pay a DeWalt price.

I'm not a fan of harbor freight power tools, a friend of mine bought a $25 sawzall there I used it once and it doesn't look safe.
I'm using their Chicago chipping hammer and can't wait for it to break so I can buy a Bosch.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
The only Sawzall's I've ever seen are Milwaukee. Other brands are Reciprocating saw's.

Precisely. Over the last 20 years that I have had mine, I've felt that Makita makes a good reciprocating saw.

My Makita circular saw is about that old, Just a couple triggers is all it's needed, Due for brushes pretty soon.

80's Craftsman corded 1/2" drill, This thing will break your wrist if not careful.

My Milwaukee Sawzall is over 30 years old, A cord, couple sets of brushes & a blade clamp has kept it going.

My Milwaukee portable band saw is about 25 years old, Shorted Armature ended it's life. Bought a new variable speed deep cut Milwaukee....I will see how it holds up, It's made in China.

All my cordless stuff is 18v Dewalt, Reciprocating saw, Circular saw, 1/2 drill, Impact & Flashlight. The tools are great, The batteries go bad more than I like.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
probably just a fluke.

I didn't think Fluke made power tools with their own name on them, let alone re-branded for Dewalt. All they make is multimeters and such, right?
lol.gif

I understand if no one else is laughing. I inherited my dad's peculiar sense of humor.

My Makita circular saw is about that old, Just a couple triggers is all it's needed, Due for brushes pretty soon.

80's Craftsman corded 1/2" drill, This thing will break your wrist if not careful.

My Milwaukee Sawzall is over 30 years old, A cord, couple sets of brushes & a blade clamp has kept it going.

My Milwaukee portable band saw is about 25 years old, Shorted Armature ended it's life. Bought a new variable speed deep cut Milwaukee....I will see how it holds up, It's made in China.

All my cordless stuff is 18v Dewalt, Reciprocating saw, Circular saw, 1/2 drill, Impact & Flashlight. The tools are great, The batteries go bad more than I like.

I've never found a Dewalt cordless drill with a keyless chuck that could be tightened tight enough, that the bit does not spin. Doesn't happen to my cheap Craftsman that I use at home. And surely doesn't happen to the Milwaukee Fuel drills that we use at work. And as you mention, the batteries are not the greatest. That is what most in our shop hates about the Dewalt tools the most. And that is why we no longer buy Dewalt. All Milwaukee now.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

I've never found a Dewalt cordless drill with a keyless chuck that could be tightened tight enough, that the bit does not spin. Doesn't happen to my cheap Craftsman that I use at home. And surely doesn't happen to the Milwaukee Fuel drills that we use at work. And as you mention, the batteries are not the greatest. That is what most in our shop hates about the Dewalt tools the most. And that is why we no longer buy Dewalt. All Milwaukee now.

What brand chuck is on it?

Black & Decker don't make their own chucks. They source it from one of the major brands.

When my dad had to use a Sawzall around the year 2000, he found that the supplied blade failed quickly, but a premium blade would last a long time and do the job faster.

Is this the fault of the entire tool, or just the blade?

The reciprocating shaft broke, ive gone through many blades. Milwaukee blades have been very good, malco blades that our company provides are garbage.
This is a design flaw, I read reviews on Amazon on this saw and people there are reporting the same problem. Im guessing that's the reason home depot has pulled them of the shelf ( at least around here).

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
DeWalt is owned by Black & Decker.

And? They've owned DeWalt for 50+ years.

Quote:

I have had good luck with Harbor Freight Sawzall knockoffs...and you dont pay a DeWalt price.

You don't get a DeWalt quality tool either. I have a corded HF sawzall and my 20V DeWalt runs circles around it. Running that HF piece for a while and you can cook eggs on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back