Status
Not open for further replies.
Why three? Any preference? Only want to buy one type. TIA

Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HAL/My%20Documents/Downloads/20353.pdf

Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, Silicone/Moly Formula
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HAL/My%20Documents/Downloads/24115.pdf

Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HAL/My%20Documents/Downloads/24125%20(1).pdf

Last edited:
A file:// URL only works on your own computer. None of us here can see what you're linking to except for...

LOOK OUT! BEHIND YOU!

None. Buy 3m silicone paste and then either the m77 or crc silaramic if you need some with solids.

Here is the direct link to the Permatex website showing the brake lubes. I'm only seeing two different lubes and a 'brake quiet'
Permatex Brake Lubes
From the descriptions it seems the Extreme might be a higher end formula where as the Ultra is their 'normal' formula?

Hopefully someone with experience using both can chime in

Last edited:
Agree, I've used the Ultra green for the slider pins before. Had a strong brake pull and rebuilt both calipers and replaced brake hoses to no avail. Bought new NAPA Total Eclipse calipers that solved the pull but now have a very loud squeak. I'll try the green lube on the hardware and piston/ rear pad contact points. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I would use the CRC black colored Sta Lube stuff.

Yep i am back to this also. I tried many and nothing seems to do better than this so far.

I just did the brakes on my truck. I used the Green on the slide pins and the purple on the back of the pads. Works thus far with zero squeeks.

Now that I typed that, it will probably squeek.....

The best deal I found was buying the plastic can at AAP with online discount codes (stacking mrrebates on it too).

I used the green stuff on my Saturns back in the day, and wondered why I needed to service my brakes every 6 months until I realized the green stuff was swelling and ruining my slide bushings. The stuff is USELESS around rubber and it creates more headaches than it helps.

I have been using Sil Glyde ever since on any and every car I've touched and it works every time.

Would not use that green [censored] as long as I live anymore.

The other 2 types I have no experience with.

I never had luck with Permatex brake lube. I use Molykote M77 on the backs of the pads and either Sil-Glyde or Toyota red rubber grease on slide pins.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I used the green stuff on my Saturns back in the day, and wondered why I needed to service my brakes every 6 months until I realized the green stuff was swelling and ruining my slide bushings. The stuff is USELESS around rubber and it creates more headaches than it helps.

I have been using Sil Glyde ever since on any and every car I've touched and it works every time.

Would not use that green [censored] as long as I live anymore.

The other 2 types I have no experience with.

I too went through the headache of the green synthetic brake lube. I tried sil-glyde and and never looked back. It works great and is very versatile. I use anti-seize compound on the brake pad ears and backs, works well for me. No squeeks at all

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I would use the CRC black colored Sta Lube stuff.
…This product would work with most cars…but not with my '01 subi..it reacts with the rubber to cause slider pin seizing …

I just replaced the pads on one of our farm trucks (1993 Ford F-350) and it doesn't use sliding caliper pin/boot system. No grease or rubber boots etc to mess with. It takes longer just to remove the tire to do a pad replacement job. All you do is knock out two pins, remove the caliper, throw the pads on, mount caliber and knock the two pins back in and done.

That green Permatex [censored] swelled the lower slide pin bushings so bad I had a hard time getting the pin out. No Permatex brake grease of any color for me. I am sticking wil Syl-Glyde or may use the new CRC brake grease.

It could be used as you suggest, another Todd. But, as mentioned above, a lot of people like to use two different greases: a brake "grease" for the enclosed slide pins and a high solids "paste" for the exposed metal to metal parts. IMO, the benefit of the pastes recommended above is that they are more tenacious and more water resistant. With the high solids paste, as (if) the oil component eventually dissipates away, you are still left with some boundary lubrication in the form moly/graphite/ceramic,etc. "marbles" to still provide some lubrication.

Just my opinion, and this guy's also: http://www.aa1car.com/library/2005/ic80560.htm

Regarding Permatex green, I also had negative results similar to those mentioned above.

I use the CRC synthetic brake lube on the backing plates and pad abutment ends of the pads. Syl-glide or dielectric grease ONLY on the guide pins/bolts due to rubber damage. Regular grease will seize the pins.

I have also found anti-seize will turn very hard and dry and cause pins to stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back