Diesel oil to clean petrol engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One can accomplish a lot of one is willing to take the risk.
wink.gif

My first car I did the whole desludge with kerosene (and it WAS sludged), and all my cars through the late 80s got a litre of diesel for a while (like 10 mins) hot flush before a change. I've also made/added rapeseed ethyl ester to them.

We carry a bit more safety margin down this way 'though before we run out of hydrodynamics.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
My uhaul mechanic was once an emissions tech, he said the go to way to totally clean out a motor that is neglected to no end was adding diesel fuel to the crank case for a short amount of time...

IM not going to tell what he did as a tech when a nasty varnished motor came in to prevent a fight on bitog.

He did however, buy an s10 with 24xxx miles on an oil change, the motor was disgusting on the inside. He drove it around with 3 quarts of 30wt and 2quarts of diesel for about 2000miles till the oil was black, he changed it out and ran the hdeo 1030 and the truck now has like 190k and it runs like a top... he claimed the hdeo didn't have much to clean afterwards, and the diesel was the go to thing for flushes.

The local autos teacher at my high school helped some of my friends do the ( 30 minute flushes )where you fill the crank case with diesel and let it run for a minute at a time. After 30 starts the fuel is black and the motor is spotless inside.

Many will disagree, I can only speak for what I've seen

He must be extremely lucky

One of the consequences of failed regen in a dpf equipped diesel is diesel contamination of the engine oil.

Sometimes the oil takes on the appearance of black vaseline

Other times the lack of lubricity causes the engine to sieze.

I have seen engines with less than 10k on them, 6 months old, go bang and parts of the bottom end exit the block.

I also seen one engine that was suffering loss of power, when the engine was stripped the cam was showing tell tale signs of lack of lubrication and was pretty close to siezing in situ. That one needed a new cylinder head

If your vehicle needs to have a forced regen due to excessive soot loading in the dpf then an oil and oil filter change is standard practice to get rid of the diesel contaminated oil before it damages the engine.

I think this person might have been pulling your leg.

Back in the seventies i had a friend who inheretid his
grandfathers volvo 142-73. His father was a timbertrucker entrepreneur who took care of this car including the rest of
his buisness equpment.
- He drained that little volvo of oil, filled it with 4 liters of diesel and let i idle for a minute.
Then he drained it and did the oilcahnge.

When i opened the engine it had run for 25 kmiles+ and had been maintained like this since new.
- it was the cleanest engine i´ve seen.( engines of this day usually looked like asphalted inside )
- it wasent worn in any unusal way. ( they usually needed new rodbearings a hone and rings, this one got new bearings and new pistons but not because of wear..)
Why was it opened...change of camshaft to a hotter one and milling of the head ( hi comp )

I dont say that running diesel/ kerosene clean ups are good but ive seen proof of keeping things clean this way, a sucsesful proof.

Back in about 1980 I replaced the oil in my sisters sludged up 'A' series engined Austin 1300 with Shell Rotella truck diesel oil when I serviced it.
A few hundred miles later the oil filter was plugged, so I changed the filter again and refilled it with Rotella once more.
The fourth time I did this the Blocked filter light didn't come any more and the engine was super clean inside.
So based on that I say use diesel lubricating oil to clean out a gasoline engine that has had neglected oil maintenance, with the caveat that oil and engine technology has moved on lots since then.

Around the same time a friend complained his Perkins Diesel powered van oil light stayed on.
I undid the oil drain plug and NOTHING came out, after maybe an hour a plug of what looked like asphalt started to appear. I put the drain plug back in, added a couple of pints of diesel fuel to the oil and started the engine, the oil light went out so I let it idle for half an hour and tried draining the oil again. This time black goo poured out, so I changed the filter and put fresh quality oil in. I did this again at 500 mile intervals for three more changes, then went back to scheduled 3k mile oil and filter changes. The engine had done around 90k miles at this time, it was still running fine at 150+k when it dropped a valve seat which abruptly ended its life.

I have tried adding a little diesel fuel as an engine flush several time since then. however not on a later model catalytic converter equipped engines.

Roger.

Originally Posted By: DS9
UK Mobil

M1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 - API CF
M1 New Life 0W-40 - API SN/SM/SL/SJ

USA Mobil

M1 0W-40 - API SN/SM/SL/SJ

Mobil says 0W-40 still can be used for diesels calling for CF.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx

Regarding using diesel oil in gas engines, as already mention, most of the big names (Delvac, Delo, Rotella, etc.) carry dual ratings, so they can be used in engines calling for SL and SM. Mobil 1 5W-40 is now sporting SN as well.
The only diesel oil I have seen in person that says not to use it in a gas engine, is Motorcraft 15W-40 Diesel(I think the Motorcraft 10W-30 Diesel says it as well). I was in the oil aisle of Walmart, and I picked up a jug and read the back. It clearly states on it, Not for use in gasoline engine. No reason given. I thought that was interesting, given the fact that the diesel oils right next to it on the shelf (Delvac, Rotella, Delo) have the S gasoline specs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: njohnson
Just went to Motorcraft's oil website. They say not to use the diesel oil in gas engines with cats.

"•Important note: Not for use in gasoline engines equipped with catalysts"

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-MotorOils.aspx

WHich is a contradiction

Quote:

Motorcraft® SAE 0W-30 Super All Season Synthetic Motor Oil

Usage
•Formulated for today’s low-emission, electronically controlled, normally aspirated and turbocharged diesel engines
•Particularly recommended for Power Stroke® applications
•Provides excellent performance in older-generation diesel engines
•Important note: Do not use in gasoline engines equipped with catalysts

Features
•High-quality synthetic oil for Ford diesel engines
•Meets American Petroleum Institute (API) Service Category CI-4/SM

If it's not suitable for gasoline engines with cats, then why did they get the API SM license approval?

Last edited:
I use Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 with great results. Not sure what the equivalent would be over there.

Our Land Rover 4.6 now has 125K mi and no issues with emissions tests. No startup noises compared with other oils. I recently switched our Chev Suburban 5.3 over to it as it started to use oil at 70K (common with the cylinder deactivation silliness). After 2 oil changes oil use has stopped, so I am assuming the rings have been cleaned up.

Mobil 1 0w40 has an ACEA A3/B4 rating so that makes it a very good light duty diesel engine oil. The fact it can meet CF these days is mostly irrelevant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yota4me
For me, running Amsoil synthetic ACD 10W-30/SAE 30 diesel oil had a a more noticeable visual cleaning effect than Auto-RX.

After 300K miles with M1 I tried ACD and it got the engine cleaner the first OCI and kept cleaning until the car was parked, just my personal experience so yes an HDEO will clean your gas engine.

Diesel formulations have about 50% more detergent, and one or two changes with it won't hurt the CAT.

But the AutoRx has solvents that will add cleaning power do dissolve what detergent alone can't.

What about oils that are designed for both diesel and petrol engines, A3, B3, B4?

The only oils i have seen that you could consider diesel only are HDEO.

Usually, the E type oils can be used in a gasser, too. The big names here have ACEA E sequences, along with SM or SN for our gassers. Of course, they're heavier than what the North American manufacturers tend to call for, and they're all panicky about phosphorous.
wink.gif

Your right buddy. specially if you are using CAT DEO ULS 0W-40 this is dual rated for gas and diesel engine.
I have been using Cat oil stuff in my car since i joined them six years ago and up to now i don't have any problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
Most HDEO's are rated for Gas or Diesel
If you don't mind 10w-30 or 15w-40 there are some very good HDEO's available.

I have used Rotella in my Triumph for years, My Toyota 22R also gets it in the summer.

Your right buddy. specially if you are using CAT DEO ULS 0W-40 This is dual rated for gasoline and diesel engine. I have been using this oil in my car since i joined them six years ago and up to now, i don't have any issue or problem.

I dont know about diesel oil but we used to do that in the early 80 s but it was automatic transmission oil.not needed anymore (unless you have an old 70s 80s car .even then i would dismantle and clean manually.but yes we did that and it worked relativly good as a temporary measure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back