Honda K series cam galling issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, maybe the VCT is not assembled properly. Then you have wrist pin sizing and rod clearances, oil restrictor orifice not replaced after rebuild, transmission flex plate and bolts, etc,

Last edited:
I have a 2003 accord 4cyl. I notices cam lobe galling and pitting around 300K. Dealership foreman indicated the cams need replacement. I sent the oil sample to a lab that indicated nothing of concern regarding metallic composition of the oil sample. So I continued driving. Just around 590K timing chain stretched about 0.5 CM and threw an engine light. While changing the chain I inspected the cam shafts with focus on the lobes. They looked similar to when they were 300K. So no concerns. I am 606K now. The valves are due for adjustment to reduce the noise. If you experience the valve noise it does not indicate pending engine problems. It is good to hear it a bit because it means they close properly. Otherwise they will burn out. Engine consumes 1L of 0W20 every 3800 to 4200 KM combined driving. I use Amsoil 0W20 in the winter and 5W30 from April to November (South Ontario). I do a complete drain with filter replacement every 25K. The info I posted is so that you all can compare and lay your concerns to rest. Use good synthetic oil and oil filter and don't worry for 500K. If your car sits for months without running the engine periodically the cam shafts as well as other engine components become dry. If that's your case, put molyslip E oil additive. It coats the metal and stays there for at least until your next oil drain and fill. It saves the cam lobes as well as cylinder walls during dry starts. This piece of information is also confirmed by Amsoil support line. Happy driving!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
That seems like a lot of consumption, even for that mileage. How did you treat the car? And what weight of oil did you use through its life? Syn, dino?

It's not a lot. The life of valve-stem oil seals depends on their age (years) as well as mileage. For a 15-year-old car, more than a quart per one thousand miles is typical. There is a spring at the circumference of the seal to apply pressure but the synthetic rubber (Viton) in all valve-stem oil seals will harden with age and fail to seal against the valve stem, despite the spring pressure.

If cam wear is an issue, use a quality-brand oil. Thicker oil, more ZDDP, more moly, and other smart additives and smart base stocks may help a little. Going too thick may starve the hard to reach parts of oil though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back