Rivet for pulley brake pad on Toro rider

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of changing the spindle deck bearings on my Toro rider, and while I had the deck off decided to replace the small brake pad that makes contact with the deck pulley. The old one was almost wore down to nothing and there was soon going to be metal on metal.

Here is a picture of the brake pad:

$T2eC16ZHJG8FGsiDMMM4BSGSLbf+WQ~~60_57.JPG

Here is a picture of the rivets that are used to fasten it down to the brake bracket:

brass-fastener-rivets.gif

I know nothing about rivets. Does anyone know what kind of rivet this is, and how to fasten it? Or where to take it and pay someone to fasten it for me? I'd like to learn and do it myself if I could. It looks like I could probably also go to the local hardware store and find some kind of small bolt and nut and fasten it that way.

Last edited:
What is the diameter on those inner holes? You may be able to use a standard rivet gun (about a $20 tool) and a steel rivet with the same outer diameter as the inner diameter of that hole. They're really easy to use. You stick the nail end of the rivet into the gun and place it how you would like it to hold and squeeze the handle and it mushrooms out the far end until the nail snaps and you're done. With one of those guns it should take you no more than a minute to fasten both sides.

Here's an example of one: http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-riveters/hand-riveter-set-38353.html

Pretty much any hardware store should carry them. Amazon has some nice ones too.

Last edited:
Thanks, and I think going to the hardware store and getting help is what I am going to do.

I have a rivet gun that I think came from the tools that were handed down to me after my father passed away (and have never used), and it looks like the one in the link you posted. The rivets in the box don't look like the rivets I posted a pic of, and I was pretty sure my rivet gun wasn't for use on them. I'll go up and ask and see about the kind of rivet you suggested, or maybe they will know how to fasten the ones I received or maybe just do it for me.

I just hate not knowing how to do stuff.
smile.gif

You could use the rivets you have by using a hammer and an object that is a little larger than the hole of the rivet (preferably with a tapered end like a metal punch). Tap the object into the end of the rivet until the pad is secure. Small bolt and nut would also work. Be sure to use a lock washer or threadlocker to keep it from coming loose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dean85
You could use the rivets you have by using a hammer and an object that is a little larger than the hole of the rivet (preferably with a tapered end like a metal punch). Tap the object into the end of the rivet until the pad is secure. Small bolt and nut would also work. Be sure to use a lock washer or threadlocker to keep it from coming loose.

When I went to the hardware store that is what they basically told me to do also. However, I found some round pan head machine screws that perfectly fit down into the holes in the brake pad and were also the perfect length. I used a nylock to tighten them down and it seems to be at least as good as using the rivets.

Thanks for the help with the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back