Wynn's 100,000 km + Engine Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
My engine uses oil, would something like Wynn's 100,000 km + Engine Treatment help, or is it best to just top up?

I would start perhaps with a good high mileage oil and see if that helps with consumption. If Liqui-moly products are offered in your area, take a look at the MOS2 and motor oil saver additives they produce. These additives have help some in vehicles here, along with a good high mileage oil.

Originally Posted By: Spetz
My engine uses oil, would something like Wynn's 100,000 km + Engine Treatment help, or is it best to just top up?

What kind of vehicle? How much oil is it using? What is the mileage? What is 'normal' oil consumption for this make/age/mileage vehicle? You probably won't get that last bit of information on this site, but if there is a user group for your vehicle, someone there might give you some idea of typical oil usage. Normal oil usage varies widely between brands of vehicles, so it's worth your effort to investigate this.

You did not say this, but is your engine using oil past the rings, or simply leaking on the ground, or ????

Try to get a fairly precise measure of how much it is using (1 quart per 1000 miles or 1000km). That way. you will be able to measure progress, if any.

As for Wynn's, it's a thickener. If you really think thicker oil is the answer, then just buy thicker oil to start with (10w-40 instead of 5w-30). There is at least one downside of doing this - your engine will be less efficient, pushing through the thicker oil.

Final thought: if economy is the primary goal, just top up. Adding a quart now and then is almost always cheaper than additives or other fixes.

It's a 6G74 3.5L in a Diamante.
118,000 miles.
It was using about 1 quart to 1,500 miles however I feel after I had it in storage for a few months that the consumption went up.

Currently in the process of measuring consumption again.

Not sure where the oil is going, some people tell me valve seals, others have told me past the oil control rings.

Motor runs smooth, quiet and is powerful, just uses oil. It smokes when I press throttle after it's been idling.

Oil in it currently is Castrol Edge 5W40.
The reason I considered thicker oil is I have quite a few thousand miles before my OCI remaining

Well if your already using a 5w-40 I don't think thicker oil is the answer. It could be ring deposits.
As already mentioned try liqui-moly motor oil saver. Of all the snake oil available on the shelf the liqui-moly products work as advertised and are the only additives I will buy and use.

I wouldn't feed it edge if it wants to drink so much, and I wouldn't thicken it up or add teflon (not sure, but that Wynns might have some stuff in it).

Supercheap have 15W-40 helix on special at present, or you can get 10L of 15W-40 fleet diesel (fleet is diesel and petrol rated) oil for 80 bucks or so.

Keep feeding it that until it either slows down, or you don't mind the consumption so much at half the cost.

I bought the Edge at half price a while ago which is why I am using it.
The issue is not so much the cost ($40 over 10,000km) rather having to constantly worry/check/refill the oil.
In the last 2 weeks I drove 2,000km almost which means I am checking the oil every few days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back