How do I clean the piston oil rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Cleft_Asunder
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Once again,

No common solvent dissolves hard carbon. Not Marvel Mystery Oil, not Berrymans, Not Carb Clean, not Seafoam, nothing.

Only chemicals that contain methylene chloride or other caustics will soften or dissolve hard carbon. Such as paint stripper, oven cleaner, paint gun cleaner and so on. Ever wonder why blocks and heads are cleaned with a "hot tank" caustic process? Placing them in a typical parts washer won't remove the carbon, regardless of how long you let them sit.

I have had success with higher viscosity synthetics in cars that consume too much oil.

Can I put any of those through the spark plug holes before an oil change and let it soak, or can I mess something up?

I think what you are asking is if you can use very harsh, often caustic chemicals internally in your engine. Absolutely not! While the piston, valves and rings won't likely be affected by them, seals, gaskets, plastics, composites and rubber parts will be destroyed by them. Yes, I've used EZ-OFF engine cleaner to clean intake manifold ports and intake valves. But, only with the valve closed, done carefully-one at a time, and the metal intake manifold sitting in the driveway
smile.gif

Today, I'd never do such a thing. I prefer to use synthetic oil to prevent or reduce the risk of carbon buildup on rings and valves. My suggestion stands: Try a higher viscosity, quality synthetic oil. Possibly high mileage Mobil 1, 10W-40. It's use will help clean and keep clean engine internals.

Why such a high viscosity? Because it is less likely to seep through the rings? I was thinking about increasing my viscosity to 5w-40 at first, but your suggestion sounds better since I would burn less oil in the winter too. I think I will continue using valvoline high mileage synthetic blend, plus adding some LC20 in there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I just replaced my valve seals and I am still consuming lots of oil.

Are you sure that it was done right? It's not difficult to damage or break these very delicate seals during installation. Also, if they aren't seated properly, they will pop out and then you have no seals.

I had posted this a while ago:

Wonders of valve-stem oil seal replacement

I'm confident I did it right, just the way you described in your DIY, but I will check again soon, just to make sure they haven't come loose. Thanks.

Did you hear the "click" seating sound for all of them when you pushed them down?

Yes I did hear it each time. The valve job is a PITA with that OEM tool we both used. I would never recommend anyone use it, and to instead find a tool that actually compresses the spring without it wanting to fly out in my face, which it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back