Savage 10BA in .338 Lapua

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10BA/

k1WOXNkdL_6mogKH29n.png

Thinking about picking up this gun. The local shop has it at $1995.00.

Was then going to use the same scope I have on my .308, the Bushnell Elite 6500 in 4.5-30x50.

Any thoughts on this combo? It'll be just for blasting stuff like I do with my other guns (except the .270, the deer gun). My buddy and I think if we connect the two fields together we'll have about 600 yards of shooting space, which I think would work well with this gun and his 300 win mag.

Comments appreciated!

Nice iron! The .338Lapua rivals the .50BMG in long range shooting. The ammo is quite expensive! I'd be looking at reloading in the near future if you get it!

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Nice iron! The .338Lapua rivals the .50BMG in long range shooting. The ammo is quite expensive! I'd be looking at reloading in the near future if you get it!

Already working on the reloading part with another member here who has been VERY helpful to me on that topic
smile.gif

Local shop has the round at $32/10 so while expensive, not as bad as I expected. Buying a few boxes would get me some quick brass for the reloading too.

This is my new favorite distance rifle. I shoot it monthly at a 1400m range and it will hit iron silhouettes consistently at 1100m. Mine is paired up with a 6-24x50 Vortex Viper PST piece of glass. You will not regret it.

Are you planning on going on exotic hunts that cost tens of thousands or more? Doing one of the Ovis slams for various sheep and goats, or other stuff like tar?

I know you said it was just for blasting things over a long field... But it could get you into a very expensive and exotic hobby. I know a guy who does it. The adventures are awesome.

Originally Posted By: DNVDMAX
This is my new favorite distance rifle. I shoot it monthly at a 1400m range and it will hit iron silhouettes consistently at 1100m. Mine is paired up with a 6-24x50 Vortex Viper PST piece of glass. You will not regret it.

Awesome!!! I don't have anywhere quite that long to shoot, but as I said, we should have a good 600+ yards at least, which should be nice. It may be closer to 800, I'm not sure how thick the cedar divide is between the two fields.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Are you planning on going on exotic hunts that cost tens of thousands or more? Doing one of the Ovis slams for various sheep and goats, or other stuff like tar?

I know you said it was just for blasting things over a long field... But it could get you into a very expensive and exotic hobby. I know a guy who does it. The adventures are awesome.

Nope, hadn't really thought of that, LOL
grin.gif

.338LM offers nothing at 600 yards over more conventional offerings, except maybe more fun.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt
.338LM offers nothing at 600 yards over more conventional offerings, except maybe more fun.
grin.gif

Fun sir, is the name of the game!!!
grin.gif

I like that Savage! I've been interested in a .338LM for a while but haven't (parden the pun) pulled the trigger on one. I'm envious OK!

I shoot a .50BMG which has it's own cool factor but I actually think I would prefer the .338. The .50 is much tougher on my backstop too so the benefits on owning the .338 far outweigh a .50.

Congrats in advance on your new purchase!

The beast (on the "shooting picnic table" which we use when the snow makes it a PITA to do prone). My buddy with his 300WM in the background.

lapua01.jpg

Near target (both of us were sighting in our scopes today) is 50 yards. Far target is 100 yards.

lapua02.jpg

Not bad for cheap ammo and 30Mph gusts shooting from a wobbly picnic table. This is the 100 yard target.

lapua03.jpg

Big holes are the .338LM
lapua04.jpg

lapua05.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back