Food Grade Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took apart my wife's Kitchenaid mixer to repair it. There was a problem with the planetary gear making noise, which turned out to be a loose ring gear. I cleaned it up but I need to grease the gear. Kitchen aid has a specific grease they sell, but I don't particularly want to order an expensive big tub of grease for a small job (it doesn't need very much).

Anyone know if there are more reasonable alternative that I can use? Obviously I don't want to use something unsafe, but after I saw the price (plus shipping, duty, etc) for this grease, I was temped to just use some of my Quaker State wheel bearing grease!

What material are the gears made of? Nylon requires a different grease than metal. Can you find a place that repairs mixers and buy a spoon full of the corect grease from them? Ed

Last edited:
+1 on the Quaker State wheel bearing grease.....Seriously though, PSC sells food grade greases in grease cartridges, but you have to buy a case of at least ten tubes.

Moen's silicone faucet grease might work well. It comes in teensy little tubes, but they usually come with a part. Home Depot or a plumbing supply might have some.

Amsoil has a food grade grease and it's not even that expensive. Like 9.xx for a tube.

Not really using it to its "potential" but, who cares if it works.

They are metal gears. I may try the local repair shops to see if they'll sell a small amount for a reasonable price.

The eBay stuff is $15, but $20 shipping to Canada. That Amsoil for $9 sounds reasonable if I can find it locally.

I once repaired a commercial cheese grater and used shortening as a lube. IIRC Dow Corning makes small tubes of grease called Molykote 111 for food equipment.

Last edited:
Dow Corning makes a food grade grease. Their part# 111 is very similar to Superlube, but much more viscous. It's widely used on water softener valves.

PS. I swear I didn't read GSCJR's post before making mine. That's spooky!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
What material are the gears made of? Nylon requires a different grease than metal. Can you find a place that repairs mixers and buy a spoon full of the corect grease from them? Ed

hello Ed!
Which oils are not suitable for Nylon material ?
Can you explain more on what type of Oils are suitable for Nylon parts and Nylon Gears ???

Sil Glyde. Silicone based. Does not attack nylon or rubber. Used in the food processing industry. Can be purchased at most automotive parts store. High temp. Water proof.
Sil-GlydeE.jpg

Originally Posted By: DMZ
Sil Glyde. Silicone based. Does not attack nylon or rubber. Used in the food processing industry.

thanks!
is this (silicone oil based) the only type of base oil suitable for Nylon, Rubber and other Plastics materials in gears, bearings and machine parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back