Inexpensive Prep-ware

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've ever watched a cooking show, you'll notice they have these little glass or SS containers with each ingredient, both to save time and be better organized. The French call this mise en place ie "putting in place."

So I began checking around for these little mise dishes while at various stores and while thinking about it. Pyrex and the white porcelain nesting bowls are a bit over-kill and too $$$$.

Recently while walking around IKEA though and thinking, I noticed they had inexpensive sets of small, glass dishes sold as 'votive holders'. Not only are they cheap, but you receive several in a package.

I found the tiny GLIMMA votive holders perfect for the small stuff, plus you get 6 for $2. The larger GALEJ are great as a size step up. They're 4 for $2. I found another small glass over in the kitchen dept called POKAL that is sculpted and looks nice. For the grand sum of 6 glasses for $3.

Not only can you get your mise en place, but inexpensively as well!

The glass looks quite thin and fragile on that stuff. Is it just a lousy photograph? I'd be concerned about it cracking or breaking.

We have some of the Pokal ones, and they seem to be diner grade. Break on the tile floor but no where else. Ours are made in Turkey I think and seem to be quite durable glass.
Most of the IKEA glass stuff seems to be spec'd quite thick and not made in China but ours is all a few years old now, so suppliers may have changed.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The glass looks quite thin and fragile on that stuff. Is it just a lousy photograph? I'd be concerned about it cracking or breaking.
No. It's rather thick actually and quite durable.

Question, do all these Swedish "names" for IKEA things mean anything or are they just names (one thing I have always wondered about)?

Guess I will answer my own question. I just goggled POKAL and it is German for tall drinking glass. It sure doesn't look tall to me? So I guess these names do have meaning and they are not necessarily Swedish.

Last edited:
Prep-ware = more dishes to clean... Use variously sized paper plates
smile.gif

Last edited:
The furniture is the names of swedish towns, I like that alot of their stuff comes from all over europe and the world, not just china.

I have a bunch of small blue ceramic Ramekins that I picked up somewhere years ago.

The cool part is their ovenproof as well and a perfect fit to roast a head of garlic in.

Chantal is great stuff without a doubt. I already have enough of the small & medium oven-proof white porcelain ramekins. They're great for roasting garlic in and keeping a sauce in on the corner of the smoker.

I needed inexpensive, durable, glass prep dishes and IKEA's fit the bill. I like wondering around in there from time-to-time, thinking of ways I could use their products. Last time I came home with a bag of their Swedish meatballs, which were quite good!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Last time I came home with a bag of their Swedish meatballs, which were quite good!

They are as close to home made as I ever had and I lived my first 24 years in Scandinavia!

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Last time I came home with a bag of their Swedish meatballs, which were quite good!

They are as close to home made as I ever had and I lived my first 24 years in Scandinavia!

Given your first hand experience, that's good to know! They'd also make a great party food to serve with toothpicks.

No IKEA stores close by. I don't really care about the small glassware, or their trendy furniture- but I've read of IKEA brand AA & AAA alkaline batteries being of very good quality, for about $1 per ten batteries. Now you say they have ready made meatballs that are good? That does it, we gotta get an IKEA store around here!
grin.gif

Their batteries are another item I regularly pick-up when there. The D-cells are a great deal. My portable radio uses 4.

If you've ever watched a cooking show, you'll notice they have these little glass or SS containers with each ingredient, both to save time and be better organized. The French call this mise en place ie "putting in place."

I've never watched a cooking show, but I use both the 6 ounce (approximate) glass bowls and 3 ounce (approximate) stainless steel bowls several times each week. They are great for getting spices and glazes ready before I prepare dinner. I wouldn't be without them.

Forgot about this post I started..meant to actually measure the glass.

1. Glimma: Base thickness: 1/3"; Wall: 0.12" (about 1/8")
2. Galeg: __""_____""____: 0.37"; Wall: 0.17" (about 1/6")
3. Pokal: __""_____""____: 0.45"; Wall: 0.12"

All have held up very well, are sturdy and really keep me organized while cooking. Bon appetit!

Forgot about this post I started..meant to actually measure the glass.

1. Glimma: Base thickness: 1/3"; Wall: 0.12" (about 1/8")
2. Galeg: __""_____""____: 0.37"; Wall: 0.17" (about 1/6")
3. Pokal: __""_____""____: 0.45"; Wall: 0.12"

All have held up very well, are sturdy and really keep me organized while cooking. Bon appetit!

Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back