Batteries for tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I KNOW I'm not the first or only to stop and ask if there's a source for replacement batteries for my old 12V. Craftsman drills that aren't as expensive as a new tool. Know any?
The other thing that really chaps me is that I have a Skil 1/4in. drive battery ratchet that is non-functional. I took the fasteners out and can't figure out how to part it out to replace the Ni-Cd cells. Know where I can send it for battery replacement?

IIRC, the Skil power ratchet is Li-Ion. Not Ni-Cads. Li-Ion is not replaceable unless you replace the battery pack with another pack from Skil.

As for Ni-Cad batteries, "MTO battery rebuilders" are a good outfit. But the cost is more expensive though. They give you good batteries and definitely better batteries that would come with your CM. You'll need to be sure you want to spend that money on your old drills. If your drill is starting to show signs of mechanical wear, I'd get a new set. Even a Li-On set these days are cheap.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
IIRC, the Skil power ratchet is Li-Ion. Not Ni-Cads. Li-Ion is not replaceable unless you replace the battery pack with another pack from Skil.

As for Ni-Cad batteries, "MTO battery rebuilders" are a good outfit. But the cost is more expensive though. They give you good batteries and definitely better batteries that would come with your CM. You'll need to be sure you want to spend that money on your old drills. If your drill is starting to show signs of mechanical wear, I'd get a new set. Even a Li-On set these days are cheap.

This is why I think I'll replace my non-operational battery-powered drill with a corded drill soon. I only plan to use it around the house, and never out of extention-cord reach. I didn't sail for long, but when I did we only had corded drills, and I never felt like it reduced productivity.

With that said, I'd definitely prefer cordless (especially if the same battery(s) can be used for multiple tools,) but a cheaper, high-quality drill that won't need to be dumped when the battery replacement is cost-prohibitive seems more practical. It definitely makes more sense to go corded if I take care of all of my new-to-me home projects (e.g., curtains, hinges, etc) and then put the drill away for months to YEARS before using it again.

Thanks gathermewool, for a different take. I honestly hadn't thought about a corded drill. Now that I do, it makes perfect sense for home projects that are like most, not an every week thing. On to the pawn shops!

I have sent a few battery packs out. Voltmanbatteries.com

You do not save a lot, but you can get a higher AH battery installed.

I have tried to standardize on a battery (Dewalt 18V) for awhile but am moving to Milwaukee M18.

I have hear of people rigging the wiring in an old battery pack to connect to a car battery. Certainly not a universal solution but maybe an option.

I would like to try this with my old 14.4v dewalt drill...

Originally Posted By: buck91
I have hear of people rigging the wiring in an old battery pack to connect to a car battery. Certainly not a universal solution but maybe an option.

I would like to try this with my old 14.4v dewalt drill...

This makes no sense. A car battery is not portable. I'd rather use a corded drill than one attached to a car battery.

One reason why I love the dewalts, although many here don’t like the brand, $22 for a generic 12v and $26 for a generic 18v, both use the quality 2.0 Ah nicd cells.

With vintage drills you can look on ebay for replacement batteries, send them in to have individual battery packs rebuild, or go the corded route.

Originally Posted By: kgb007stb
One reason why I love the dewalts, although many here don’t like the brand, $22 for a generic 12v and $26 for a generic 18v, both use the quality 2.0 Ah nicd cells.

With vintage drills you can look on ebay for replacement batteries, send them in to have individual battery packs rebuild, or go the corded route.

If you want to consolidate to a single battery for many tools and want a high torque impact wrench as one of your tools, then the older 12V batteries are not an option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back