Worst oil Flow Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any filters that flow so poorly you would recommend NOT putting them on your car even though their filtration rate is high?

Amsoil or P1 definitely.
28.gif

Here's some testing on filtration, construction and flow.
Hope it helps.

Filtration:
1. Delco UPF 52
2. PureOne, Bosch Premium, and Donaldson
3. Purolator Classic, Mobil 1 Ext Perf. and K&N, Mann, Fram Extended Guard
4. Wix/NAPA Gold and Wix built Delco Duraguard PF53, Mahle
5. Ecore style AC/Delco, Supetech, STP, and Fram Extraguard
6. Denso, Honda, Hamp

Construction:
1. Mobil 1 and K&N
2. Wix/NAPA Gold, Fram Extended Guard, Mann, Mahle
3. Purolator, Bosch Premium and PureOne
4. Denso, Honda, Hamp
5. Ecore style AC/Delco, Supetech, STP
6. Fram Extraguard

Easy oil flow:
1. Denso, Honda, Hamp
2. Mann, Mahle, Purolator Classic, Proline, Fram Extraguard, Fram Toughguard
3. Mobil 1, K&N, Wix/NAPA Gold,
4. PureOne, and Bosch Premium
5. Ecore style AC/Delco, Supetech, STP
6. Delco UPF52 , Fram Extended Guard

Not all test were done on all filters as you can see.

Any of these sample filters tested will filter your oil and should do the job. If you want maximum flow with absolute minimum pressure drop from the filter, you may decide to choose from very low restriction filters.

Originally Posted By: kenpoed
Are these ranked best to worst or worst to best?

that was going to be my question too. I assume, from the looks of it, that it's best to worst.

Been said many times but worth repeating I suppose, in pc use flow is an insignificant consideration. No need to be concerned about it in the least.

And to be fair, accurate and give credit to the author river_rat, the list above comes from his excellent study posted here.

That said, the results just shows what filters favor one thing with respect to others. Nowhere in his work will you find those that favor filtration, in any way significantly hamper filter flow in pc use.

The much posted P1 Flow vs PSID information thread posted here prove that.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Amsoil or P1 definitely.
28.gif

I'd agree with that statement. But I think the biggest thing would be the time it's on there mileage wise.

I switched from DELCO UPF filter to WIX/NAPA GOLD and my intial start-up oil pressure changed significantly, it increased. Since the oil pressure gauge is AFTER the oil filter on my Corvette, more pressure equals more flow.

Now, the steady state oil pressure did not change, probably due to the fact that the bearings are the greatest oil constriction in the system. So is there a detrimental effect, I am not sure, but I never went back to DELCO UPF filters.

People on Corvette Forum were complaining that the DELCO UPF filters did not have good flow rate due to "over" filtration.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Amsoil or P1 definitely.
28.gif

I'd agree with that statement. But I think the biggest thing would be the time it's on there mileage wise.

Not this again. PureOnes are not restrictive ... in fact, they probably flow better than a lot of filters out there.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Oil filters are nominally 1/15th as restrictive as an engine's oiling circuit. Probably every oil filter of known good brand name will flow anything the oil pump can give it, and the delta-p difference between them will be a few PSI difference.

All oil leaving a positive displacement oil pump will go through the filter and engine if the oil pump is not in pressure relief.

The only time a more restrictive oil filter hurts oil flow is when the oil pump is in pressure relief mode (ie, at max output pressure). A more restrictive filter will make the oil pump hit pressure relief sooner, but with most vehicles it's almost impossible to make the oil pump hit pressure relief with hot, thin oil.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I switched from DELCO UPF filter to WIX/NAPA GOLD and my intial start-up oil pressure changed significantly, it increased. Since the oil pressure gauge is AFTER the oil filter on my Corvette, more pressure equals more flow.

Don't know how that's really possible with a positive displacement oil pump. When measuring oil pressure, it's very important to also measure engine RPM and oil temperature.

I used ACDelco UPFs in my Z06, and they didn't change anything in the oil pressure readings. I've also used WIX, NAPA Gold, Amsoil, Purolator ... they all gave the same exact oil pressure readings at the same exact conditions (engine RPM & oil temp).

Now, the steady state oil pressure did not change, probably due to the fact that the bearings are the greatest oil constriction in the system. So is there a detrimental effect, I am not sure, but I never went back to DELCO UPF filters.

The engine oiling circuit is always the main restriction, regardless of temperature ... it's typically 15 times more restrictive than an oil filter.

People on Corvette Forum were complaining that the DELCO UPF filters did not have good flow rate due to "over" filtration.

Simply not true. I remember those days, and I emailed ACDelco Tech Dept about it. They said those guys on the internet didn't know what they were talking about in their "garage experiments". ACDelco has million dollar test machines ... garage scientists do not.

The bottom line is you CAN have very good filtration and still have very good flow. The PureOne and Fram Ultra prove this point.

Originally Posted By: kenpoed
Are there any filters that flow so poorly you would recommend NOT putting them on your car even though their filtration rate is high?

No.

Thanks to the bypass valve you will always get an oil supply.

Over time every full flow filter becomes more efficient and at the same time increasingly resists oil flow.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Don't know how that's really possible with a positive displacement oil pump. When measuring oil pressure, it's very important to also measure engine RPM and oil temperature.

I used ACDelco UPFs in my Z06, and they didn't change anything in the oil pressure readings. I've also used WIX, NAPA Gold, Amsoil, Purolator ... they all gave the same exact oil pressure readings at the same exact conditions (engine RPM & oil temp).

The engine oiling circuit is always the main restriction, regardless of temperature ... it's typically 15 times more restrictive than an oil filter.

Simply not true. I remember those days, and I emailed ACDelco Tech Dept about it. They said those guys on the internet didn't know what they were talking about in their "garage experiments". ACDelco has million dollar test machines ... garage scientists do not.

The bottom line is you CAN have very good filtration and still have very good flow. The PureOne and Fram Ultra prove this point.

Where do you think the Amsoil EaOs stand for LSx use?? (As far as flow vs. beta filtration levels.)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Where do you think the Amsoil EaOs stand for LSx use?? (As far as flow vs. beta filtration levels.)

I've never used any EaO Amsoil filters ... the ones I used were before the EaO line came out. I'd bet they are fine for flow, and I think they are pretty efficient too.

Personally, I think I'm going to go with Fram Ultras on all my vehicles once my PureOne stash gets used up.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This guy rates FRAM Ultra at the bottom of the barrel on flow:

http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.com/conclusions.html

From this page on his website:
http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.com/flow-vs-filtration.html

"Some of my comparisons will show a 2 or 3 fold difference in time that is takes the filter center tube to fill with oil. This should not be taken as that there would be a 2 or 3 fold reduction in oil flow to the engine. I look at it this way: "Filter A" may drop 3 psi when "Filter B" would be dropping only 1 psi. But out of, for example, 60 psi oil pressure to the engine parts, it makes no real difference.
That is my theory anyway...and probably why I have seen no difference in after-filter oil pressure on my old van that has an oil pressure gauge."

The way river_rat tested the filter's "flow performance" was to simply immerse a cut open filter's media assy (dry I think) into an oil bath and time how long it took for the center tube to fill up. If the filter media was dry, then some of this time difference between filters could be from how fast the media initially wicks/soaks up oil before it actually starts flowing through the media and filling up the center tube. Plus, not all center tubes have the same volume, so that factor could account for time differences. Notice he also said the AC Declo UPF was "restrictive". Per ACDelco data, it flows better than most because it's full synthetic media. Same with the Fram Ultra.

Here is a statement made by Motorking who works for Fram about the flow performance of the Ultra after I asked for flow data.
Motoking Data

Here is real flow vs delta-p (PSID) data from Purolator on the PureOne filer.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Bottom line is that the filter manufacturers have million dollar test benches in laboratories that do their testing which could never be accurately duplicated in someone's basement or garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back