Are there any bad oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any bad oils which are best avoided?

I could imagine the really cheap oils are not very good, but what about any reputable brand oils which are best avoided?

And if there are such oils, what in particular makes them bad?

Originally Posted By: Spetz
Are there any bad oils which are best avoided?

I don't know about Australia, but in the US, PQIA has identified some...

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

Use the "Consumer Alerts" dropdown for detailed info about what makes them bad.

in b4 oilchanger says valvoline.. even the NOACK issue with the 5w20 next gen isn't a turn away thing for me. just not preferable..

honest go off the PQIA chart and warnings.. they're pretty spot on..

3N1 oil?

Lots of oils I wouldn't add to my diesel. Doesn't make them bad, just not suited for the task.

Quote:
any reputable brand oils which are best avoided?
No.

The oils to be avoided are the brands you've never heard of, often sold in convenience stores to people that care only about low price and convenience.

The discussions here about which name brand oil to buy are akin to arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

There are very few bad motor oils.

There are motor oils that offer more value for your money.

You can, as directed above, check here:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

Also, look at some VOA/UOA's too.

On the nice list, dino Mobil 5000 and PYB come to mind.

QSUD offers the same value if a little longer OCI is desirable or you just want the "protection" of a synthetic.

In Oz?
Who knows?
Any current spec (or last dozen or so years spec) oil from a reputable blender will be fine.
Any no spec oil from a blender you've never heard of might be fine as well, or it might not.
Generally, if you go with the names you've heard of, you'll never have a problem with the oil you use in your engines.
I'd only be wary of blenders I've never heard of that have no known spec for their offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back