Crumbling shoes syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last year I lost several different pairs due to soles separation or disintegration.

Looks like this:
6728328127_24286ea79a_z.jpg

I looked it up and apparently polyurethane foam is good only for up to 5 years.
Either they should stop using this stinking plastic in China or there should be a law requiring expiration date on shoes.

Looks like you have excessive positive camber on your legs. (I'm sure there is a medical terminology but the concept will be the same).

Do you wear all your shoes in the same pattern? Maybe the cheap foam makes the pattern more visible but if all of your shoes wear in the same manner a visit to the orthopedist would be in order.

Me, as a kid, wear just one shoe like that, the doctor fix me with orthopedic soles

Last edited:
How much did you pay for the shoes......??

WAIT! I got it! You have Dogs!!

Last edited:
I think I see the name Clarks?

Clarks used to make good shoes (I had some that lasted over 10 years) until production moved to china :-(

Wow, I just replaced my work shoes after 3 years. The old ones are worn out and funky looking and smelling. Held up much better than I would have imagined for a $40 pair. Bought the exact same brand and model this past weekend for $60. Bet they don't go 50% longer

Last edited:
The exact same thing happened to me but with Terra Lites.

I had a brand new pair that I rarely used, and only wore them around town.

I loved those boots, were light, looked nice with jeans. I was even able to drive with them on.

Anyway, one day I was wearing them after I had them in the back of a closed for 2 years, and the soles fell apart after a couple of weeks of walking around.

I was walking and chunks were coming off. They were garbage in the same day it started.

What was weird was the soles had absolutely no wear as I never wore them much, they were babied. I was planning to get years of use out of them, then when the soles wore smooth, use them in a garage before tossing them.

I read online similar complaints, was an issue with the sole's chemistry. The dry rot when they get past a certain age.

Anyway, I was really mad!!!

Me thinks you are buying rubber with too low of a speed rating. Try jogging slower.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Looks like you have excessive positive camber on your legs. (I'm sure there is a medical terminology but the concept will be the same).

Do you wear all your shoes in the same pattern? Maybe the cheap foam makes the pattern more visible but if all of your shoes wear in the same manner a visit to the orthopedist would be in order.

Me, as a kid, wear just one shoe like that, the doctor fix me with orthopedic soles

Its called under-pronation, or supination.

Podiatry%20London.jpg

It your feet don't hurt then i would skip any orthotics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Darwin1138

I was thinking the same thing

It may also have something to do with the fact that almost all of the shoes we buy these days are made in some country that uses slave laborers to make them...

I found I have to get into $100+ shoes to avoid foam disintergration problems as those shoes don't tend to have foam soles at all... It was annoying to have the sole fall apart and the upper to be in good shape.

Originally Posted By: grampi
It may also have something to do with the fact that almost all of the shoes we buy these days are made in some country that uses slave laborers to make them...

Well despite literally traveling halfway around the earth to find the absolute cheapest labor possible I would still assume they would use the most expensive/best materials available? No?

Last Sunday while I was at work my 10 year old pair of Danner Boot soles decided to de-laminate. They are in the shop getting new tires.

I have had this happen on a pair of dress shoes that hardly ever get used. It was as if they had fused to the hardwood floor. When I tried walking in them they left a trail. It looked more like this:
IMG_4640.jpg

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Well despite literally traveling halfway around the earth to find the absolute cheapest labor possible I would still assume they would use the most expensive/best materials available? No?

Why would you think that? If they cut corners on labor costs, why wouldn't they also use the cheapest materials they can get away with?

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Why would you think that? If they cut corners on labor costs, why wouldn't they also use the cheapest materials they can get away with?

Sorry I was being sarcastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back