09 Flex - odd hesitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Flex SEL 3.5L fwd. Wife complained about an odd shudder around 30 mph. I confirmed with her driving that it almost seems to be switching gears 5 times per second. I am thinking it is a traction control problem. Wife said it has gotten much worse over the past couple of days (it has been much warmer) and we just bought this car in Jan. Any ideas on what it could be? It seems to happen mostly while turning left and accelerating.

Nope, I have drained and refilled the fluid twice since we got it two months ago. Just looked at the fluid level last weekend and it is fine. 46k miles on her.

And after the last drain and fill (it has a plug on the pan) I pulled the pos battery cable so it could relearn shift points. Please help because my wife thinks I messed up her new car :p

Disable traction control and see if that helps. Also you say "happen mostly while turning left and accelerating." It could be the ABS sensors..

Did you use the correct trans fluid and fill per the recommend way using the trans temp?
Might try adding another 1/2 quart trans fluid too and see if that helps.

Last edited:
I used mercon V...it was Castrol. And to the guy who said get ready for a trans failure...this is a ford, not a Honda or Toyota :p

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I used mercon V...it was Castrol. And to the guy who said get ready for a trans failure...this is a ford, not a Honda or Toyota :p

Ford has made some pretty bad transmissions over the years.

It really sounds like it's not getting enough fluid ...

Maybe a possibility there's a fuse or relay for traction control you could pull and drive without to see what it does?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Maybe a possibility there's a fuse or relay for traction control you could pull and drive without to see what it does?

good idea, will try it this weekend.

I just drove big Flexy for the first time in a few weeks and to me it feels like a coil is bad. Just basing this off of the exact same symptoms of how my 01 town and country ban felt when the coil went bad.all suggestions are still welcome!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is the transmission fluid low?

you know what, maybe it is....i can't really tell on the dipstick. Even though the castrol mercon v is pretty red when I pour it in, I really cannot get a good read on it from the dipstick. Should I add an extra quart and see if I can tell? This is driving me nutz

Did you measure what came out then replace with the same amount when you did the drain and fills?

i did measure what came out...almost exactly 5 qts each time. that is what is driving me crazy. My wife said it didnt do this till I worked on it...I have drained and refilled the atf at least 20 times on 5 cars and never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back