Motorcraft 10w-30 HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a bottle Of MC 10w-30 HDEO today for my lawnmower and noticed its only CJ-4 rated. Is it truly? Most HDEOs are atleast SM and some SN. Anybody know?

Most HDEO that I've seen, which is multigrade like 10w-30, will have the API service code for gasoline engines after all of the diesel codes.

Single grade such as SAE 30.....usually does not have any API gasoline engine code after the diesel codes.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Most HDEO that I've seen, which is multigrade like 10w-30, will have the API service code for gasoline engines after all of the diesel codes.

Single grade such as SAE 30.....usually does not have any API gasoline engine code after the diesel codes.

This one just says cj-4. I was hoping someone would have a link to a site that would say it is SM. I guess if it doesnt say it on the bottle it really isnt. It sucks because its a good price. The rotella 10w-30 and T6 are SN rated aswell as the delo 5w-40. I was hoping this would be too.

Originally Posted By: sjstangman
http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-MotorOils.aspx

grin.gif
Thank you!

Ford likely dropped the SM out of concerns for liability, although completely blown out of proportion. Heaven forbid that someone run a Motorcraft 10w-30 HDEO in a Ford vehicle and then have an exceedingly rare cat failure during the warranty period. I guess the fact that HDEO isn't GF-5 isn't enough reassurance for Ford that its use in a gasser specifying an ILSAC rated oil means the person doing so is on his own if there's a problem, no matter how remote the odds really are. Ford is likely just afraid of having two customer relations nightmares, one on the vehicle warranty side of things, and another on the Motorcraft OEM parts and supplies side of things.

I have no doubt the Motorcraft 10w-30 HDEO could pass SM specifications. I highly doubt it would fall under the category of real diesel-only oils, such as these.

It probably would be similar to other HDEO oils made by ConocoPhillips that are rated CJ-4/SM.

I wouldn't worry about putting CJ-4 HDEO in a gasoline engine. Just look at how well it works in turbocharged gasoline engines, especially Subaru engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back