Fiat 500 Abarth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess they are still not too popular here. My local dealers cut 5000 off msrp from their 2013 inventory? The Abarth package looks sick.... anyone can share their thoughts or driving impressions...

With the arrival of 500L,regular 500 sales are down and have been for months.

Originally Posted By: 2008wrx
I guess they are still not too popular here. My local dealers cut 5000 off msrp from their 2013 inventory? The Abarth package looks sick.... anyone can share their thoughts or driving impressions...

I'm seriously considering one; I've been watching several Fiat forums and the Abarth doesn't seem to suffer from any major issues. My dealer has an Abarth with every option but navigation and a hole in the roof for $7,100 off MSRP- $19,500. That is a LOT of car for not a lot of money. The car is a genuine hoot to drive and-while I'm debating whether to buy another FWD car-it has a manic character that most cars lack. And it's European, so it's all good.

They're fun to drive, but bear in mind it is not an expensive car and the build quality reflects that.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Any car has a discount $7,100 off MSRP $19,500 means it isn't a good car to begin with.
Nah. It may just mean that they were too hopeful on the original price.
In this country a 300 hp 'stang is a little over 21K (less now) At the original price the Abarth is competing nearly head-to-head with a 'Stang GT. Good luck with that.

The competition is pretty fierce in the sporty car segment. That price puts it below a Fiesta hot-rod. So a buyer might take a constructive view at that price. I understand the Abarth has a pretty exacting maintenance schedule, so take that into account. In my area you couldn't get one for much under 25K.

Any car has a discount $7,100 off MSRP $19,500 means it isn't a good car to begin with.

The asking price is $19,500($26,600-$7,100).

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

The competition is pretty fierce in the sporty car segment. That price puts it below a Fiesta hot-rod. So a buyer might take a constructive view at that price. I understand the Abarth has a pretty exacting maintenance schedule, so take that into account. In my area you couldn't get one for much under 25K.

The maintenance schedule doesn't seem all that onerous to me:
oil and tire rotation every 10k
cabin filter every 20k
plugs/air filter every 30k
coolant 10 years/150k
timing belt 15 years/150k

While not a Abarth, I bought the wife a 500 Pop a couple of weeks ago. They are fun to drive in a quirky way that is hard to describe. Not really a car that is going to win any awards for quality fit and feel, but is interesting none the less.

Good little in town commuter car but nothing I would want to do any long cross country trips in.

Apparently Magneti Marelli, the OEM manufacturer for electronics on this car offers a plug and play performance ECU package for it. For about $800 you get an ECU that has 3 tunes in it, stock, performance and race. The modes are selected from inside the car by a remote that comes with the kit.

This car must be a blast to drive with close to 200 horsepower!

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
While not a Abarth, I bought the wife a 500 Pop a couple of weeks ago. They are fun to drive in a quirky way that is hard to describe. Not really a car that is going to win any awards for quality fit and feel, but is interesting none the less.

Good little in town commuter car but nothing I would want to do any long cross country trips in.

Congrats on the Pop!

My wife has bought two Fiat's since they came back to the US.

On Sept 3 2011, she bought a Blue Sport in Hurst, Texas, and we drove it 764 miles back to Denver. Great trip, and really comfortable. Way more comfortable than the trip down with her Chrysler Crossfire.

Then on June 13 2012, she bought a Black Abarth.
We drove to the Abarth Experience course in Phoenix AZ in October, by way of the Grand Canyon. Many days of driving across the country in an Abarth was still a great trip, and very comfortable.

BC.

I was surprised to see a bunch of them as rentals, when I flew to Florida last month.

Originally Posted By: ms21043
Apparently Magneti Marelli, the OEM manufacturer for electronics on this car offers a plug and play performance ECU package for it. For about $800 you get an ECU that has 3 tunes in it, stock, performance and race. The modes are selected from inside the car by a remote that comes with the kit.

This car must be a blast to drive with close to 200 horsepower!

There are also a couple of ECU flashes in development. And yes, 200 bhp hits the sweet spot for me as well; my only misgiving about the car is its lack of a true mechanical LSD(I'm a hard core track rat, so it matters- especially when the horsepower has been pumped up).

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Wow those are expensive cars. Every time I see one of these little Fiat cars I think in my mind those must be cheap cars imagining in the range of $15-20k MSRP.

my only misgiving about the car is its lack of a true mechanical LSD(I'm a hard core track rat, so it matters- especially when the horsepower has been pumped up).

What do they come with a 'false' viscous LSD, or are they open, even though it is their highest performance iteration??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Wow those are expensive cars. Every time I see one of these little Fiat cars I think in my mind those must be cheap cars imagining in the range of $15-20k MSRP.

The normal 500's are in that MSRP range. We're talking about the high-powered, high-strung Abarth version.

Might want to consider an extended factory warranty, Ford has a bunch of on-line discounters keeping the Ford Extended warranty price down, Chrysler less so, but I bet you can get a 7 year warranty for less than $1K if you shop around on the web.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

The normal 500's are in that MSRP range. We're talking about the high-powered, high-strung Abarth version.

Clearly overpriced and marked up if they offer $7100 of MSRP. If that is required to sell a $<30k car sadly the version will get killed off due to lack of interest.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Clearly overpriced and marked up if they offer $7100 of MSRP. If that is required to sell a $div>

Old Chrysler strategy of marking it up, then throwing discounts onto the hood when it doesn't move at the inflated MSRP.

Considering a Dart with the same powertrain can be had for about $20k, a hotted-up 500 Abarth that is destined to be a rare car on these shores should fetch about that.

The reason the Abarth is being offered so low is because it's a fairly niche car. It's not as fast as other hot hatches. The driving position is an acquired taste from every single review I've read. It's a little bit more exotic than the standard WRX or other hotted-up small car because aside from the involved driving experience it doesn't do a heck of a lot. It's not a convertible, and it doesn't do relaxed cruising when not wanting to flog it. As that Fiat dealer is discovering, there is a small market for that particular car in their area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back