Time to buy new gas cans again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton

I didn't realize how bad the new cans were until I had mine stolen, and looked in the store at what they had to offer. Yikes! I know I shouldn't but I'm tempted to just put gasoline into my yellow cans until I can find proper red ones. At least the yellow ones I have have proper spouts; I strongly suspect I could recycle the spouts onto new gas cans.

supton, I'm afraid you will find that they also changed the threads on the new cans to prevent just this by the consumer.

The worst new ones are the ones where you push the nozzle in as you are using it. The best new ones have a lever you push down with your palm after popping the unlock button with your thumb.

You can get new spouts at big box stores that make new cans into "old" cans. They have a flexible white spout, a yellow screw on cap. And a vent you install by drilling a hole on the rear of the can. It still works without the vent but flow interrupts to breath in air.

KenO, The next time you're up there ...pick up a fist full of those flexible spouts with the cap, I need one for my old Eagle metal can...can't find one anywhere.

Scepter makes gas cans with the yellow pour spout that doesn't leak. They are made here in Ontario. We have the option of the "Eco" spouts or regular spouts. Guess which one I get lol

They just got the new cans in Canada. They're terrible. I'm holding onto my old cans with the vent for as long as I can.

many many years ago i was at a lecture by a engineer from Justrite Manufacturing. it was centered around industrial equipment to was great. i was very impressed. some of the safe for you spouts can be modded to work fine. i found some of that info on the internet.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The worst new ones are the ones where you push the nozzle in as you are using it. The best new ones have a lever you push down with your palm after popping the unlock button with your thumb.

I had to replace one of the former with the latter as the cap broke one day. Set out to find a replacement cap, nope. Will be treating my switch/push lever cans like gold from now on.

The trick with the newest push spout cans is to push and hold the spout before tipping it to fill. Honestly, newest push spout cans spill more gas than their predecessors, don't understand where the new design came from.

I have some old plastic Blitz cans for small stuff and NATO jerry cans for the big stuff. The NATO cans rock.

Check out Jegs for some good cans. I have a few racing cans and they are vented. they are the best plastic cans on the market.

Still can't believe we are messing with these new designs. Whoever mandated them never pour any fuel. I have older cans I found and 'respouted' or modified cans.

Those EPA regs are an abomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back