Thoughts on Amsoil Engine Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck has the infamous cold start tick in the mornings (2008 Silverdo 5.3L AFM). It used to only do it in the mornings when the temps were 30* or lower but lately it's been doing it when the temps are in the low 50's.

I keep up with regular maintenance and changed over to Pennzoil Ultra about 1,000 miles ago. I just ran a can of BG44K through the fuel to help clean injectors, combustion chambers, etc. My next thought is to run a bottle of Amsoil Engine Flush in the oil before my next change to clean up anything that might sticking.

I'm thinking that maybe I have some gunk causing something to stick which is causing the tick. The PU has great cleaning properties so should I even bother or would it be a good idea to run a bottle of the flush at my next oil change?

Maybe some MMO instead?

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Kreen. It cleaned the SNOT out of my old sludged up 5.7 in the K1500 in my sig

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Try a "Italian tuneup" first. That is my personal recommendation before flushing a engine.
LOL, I don't think that would help with this problem. Myself, I would never use engine flush but I would try MMO first in the crankcase. sounds like a sticky lifter.

Amsoil flush works well and should not hurt anything, just follow the directions.

Of course if you have maintained it, maybe you have a tired lifter or something.

If its not slap, Id try going from benign to aggressive. Read my posts about my BMW 318i. Had tried MMO, Kreen, ARX, even other modifiers like LM MoS2... Nothing helped.

Finally resorted to B-12 Chemtool as a sort of last-ditch effort, and also added restore at the same time in case there was some wear (I know, I dont know if the B-12 or the restore, or both did the fix), assuming that restore actually repairs wear. There are lots of anecdotes of it quieting lifter ticks in Jeep engines...

Anyway, for the first time in many tens of thousands of miles, no tick after sitting for a long time or in the really cold weather, and my consumption also stopped. I know that this too is only anecdotal, but if I were you, Id add the cocktail to the list when trying to troubleshoot.

Im a little torn, because of the success with this cocktail (B-12 flush then add the additive to the new oil), Id sort of make that recommendation, and to just jump to it. However I know that this is a more aggressive approach, and I wouldnt have used it unless I needed to...

I've personally used the amsoil several times just for routine cleaning.

If you have access to BG products try their 109 compression restore. I use it weekly on cars in my shop. It also works well

I am having the same issue, would tick for a few minutes in the cold, then go away once engine got a little heat into it. Mine is coming from the lifters, will be pulling valve cover tonight and seeing what everything looks like. what about using ATF then changing oil after 100 miles or so?

Originally Posted By: zmineau
I am having the same issue, would tick for a few minutes in the cold, then go away once engine got a little heat into it. Mine is coming from the lifters, will be pulling valve cover tonight and seeing what everything looks like. what about using ATF then changing oil after 100 miles or so?

ATF is not a cleaner.

If it's been maintained I doubt there's really any gunk in there, just a common Chevy tick. My Chevy 350 did it and so does my grandmas Trailblazer, and it's an LTZ cream puff, always taken care of and low miles.

I had an engine that I wanted to flush last year. I had used MMO added for the last 300-400 miles and drive easy ish for gentle cleaning before, but wanted more action this use. I looked at some options and settled down on two choices. Amsoil and the lubromoly 500ml motor flush. I think both are good products from good companies, I was able to source the LM flush first so went with that. No problems from using a flush as of yet...

I know these two products work via different actions, but for the same intended end results. I was ok with either approach for my use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back