The confusion around BMW M oils continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW's confusing and self-contradictory statements regarding oil for M motors comes down to two things;

1 - A way to wriggle out of repairs under warranty, chances are the car did not follow the reccomendations every time they were changed,

and

2 - The prevalence of the internet means that you guys in the US can pick up a TSB that was meant for the colds of Northern Europe (or some other geographical crossed lines leading to misinterpretation)

Bottom line?
Redline or Millers.

/thread.

Well I'm even more confused now.

The dealer just performed the 1200 mile service on my M6.

I requested Castrol 0W-40 be used but the dealer advised that, indeed, BMW 5W-30 was the proper fill.

Owner's manual clearly states 0W-30 or 0w-40 is approved with 5W-30 and 5W-40 also being acceptable.

I plan to run the 5W-30 for 5000 miles and then change with Castrol 0W-40 myself.

Even with uber LL-01 Euro spec oil, I can't say I believe in BMW's 10K OCI for this vehicle.

It is not only BMW, all manufacturers are saving on oil since they are performing "free" oil changes (free means you will come later once carbon builds up etc).
Go check my UOA on M1 0W40. After 5K TBN was at 2.6!

Originally Posted By: Olas
BMW's confusing and self-contradictory statements regarding oil for M motors comes down to two things;

1 - A way to wriggle out of repairs under warranty, chances are the car did not follow the reccomendations every time they were changed,

and

2 - The prevalence of the internet means that you guys in the US can pick up a TSB that was meant for the colds of Northern Europe (or some other geographical crossed lines leading to misinterpretation)

Bottom line?
Redline or Millers.

/thread.

If you read the links to the M3 discussion forum I posted, it is actually a matter of BMW NA making a different recommendation than BMW corporate. The memo saying LL01 is okay was only for North America. Everywhere else, you have to keep using TWS.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I requested Castrol 0W-40 be used but the dealer advised that, indeed, BMW 5W-30 was the proper fill.

Owner's manual clearly states 0W-30 or 0w-40 is approved with 5W-30 and 5W-40 also being acceptable.

I plan to run the 5W-30 for 5000 miles and then change with Castrol 0W-40 myself.

Even with uber LL-01 Euro spec oil, I can't say I believe in BMW's 10K OCI for this vehicle.

The manual probably says 0w30, 0w40, 5w30, and 5w40 are acceptable for top-ups. Mine says that.

10k might not be so bad, actually. Remember that the car has a huge sump and a large filter. There are a lot of M cars that did the 15k intervals without any major problems. Mine did.

The turbo V8 M6 has a 9 quart sump and the filter has about three times the surface area of a Camry filter.

The dealer asked for $41 for a filter for my next unscheduled change.

About $22 online so I passed.

Maybe I can find a Purolator or OCOD for it. : )

The turbo V8 M6 has a 9 quart sump and the filter has about three times the surface area of a Camry filter.

Are you serious?
Stick to original. You are driving M6 and trying to save on filter?

You can find a Purolator for it -- it will be labeled as a Mann filter.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Are you serious?
Stick to original. You are driving M6 and trying to save on filter?

Edyvw, just because the car costs $100,000 doesn't mean that the price of parts should be jacked way up. It's an oil filter, a common service part. We're not talking about a very unique low-volume replacement part here.

It frustrates me when guys on the M3 boards ridicule people who don't want to spend $4000+ on an exhaust and instead opt for the $1500 one with identical build quality but a less-respectable name. "Dude, you spent $75,000 on the car and don't want to spend extra for an Akrapovic exhaust?" No, I don't.

Originally Posted By: dparm

WHy would you get Mann if car is still under warranty? Mann is OEM for BMW, but if it is under warranty BMW wants original to be used.

WHy would you get Mann if car is still under warranty? Mann is OEM for BMW, but if it is under warranty BMW wants original to be used.

What's wrong with Mann? Last time I checked, the owner's manual didn't require that only OEM filter can be used.

Not to mention that Mann is one of the OEMs, as you pointed out.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

What's wrong with Mann? Last time I checked, the owner's manual didn't require that only OEM filter can be used.

Not to mention that Mann is one of the OEMs, as you pointed out.

As far as I know, owners manual in my car also does not require OEM filter, BUT still do not want to test waters with VW.
I would say, if you have car under warranty keep using OEM until warranty runs out.

I was kidding about the OCOD and the Purolator.

The point of the post was that the dealer was charging $41 for the same OEM BMW/Mahle filter that could be purchased online for around $20.

For the record, a FRAM to fit the car costs $20 anyway and is just a repackaged Mahle.

Mahle is actually the big supplier for BMW OEM filters, from what I can see. Hengst and Mann of course have them too.

I was kidding about the OCOD and the Purolator.

The point of the post was that the dealer was charging $41 for the same OEM BMW/Mahle filter that could be purchased online for around $20.

For the record, a FRAM to fit the car costs $20 anyway and is just a repackaged Mahle.

I do not know. I trust MANN, have them in my car. I am also familiar with MANN production, and while MANN is of superb quality, I know that OEM are slightly different (filter paper).
Of course, $20 is big difference for same filter. At least VW is not charging any different (I think difference is like $1-2).

Technically BMW dealers shouldn't stock 0-40. They only stock BMW 5w30, TWS, and LL04 Edge 5w30. Maybe some 10w40/30 for older cars.

I guess moving everything to the LL-04 elixir is important to BMWUSA.

I need to see a VOA on the stuff in comparison to GC.

Maybe I'm concerned about nothing.

They won't do it until the gasoline quality in the US improves. Can't remember what's the latest schedule to make our gasoline ultra-low sulfur...

I need to see a VOA on the stuff in comparison to GC.

Maybe I'm concerned about nothing.

I think you are indeed concerned about nothing. BMW develops those oils with Castrol to meet their specific requirements. It's not advantageous for them to try and cheap out on something that has the BMW name on it that must be used in millions of vehicles.

I don't think the BMW-branded oils are the best you can buy, but I think they are certainly adequate for the majority of users.

Castrol wouldn't bother paying for TWS to get certified as LL-01 since it was never intended for widespread use. It would easily pass, in my opinion.

Not sure it would do the longlife oil drain interval would it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back