My First Dissection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open my first used filter, Fram Extra Guard.
 -

-

-

-

-

it wont work!,

ok ill send the url and you guys can check it out from there, the pics are mixed with other pics so just concentrate on the oil filters

There ya go

Since this is the first cutting ive done can some one correct me if im wrong...

pic1= overview
2=i dunno...
3=filter media
4= adbv
5=filter and core

Welcome to the filter autopsy crowd. . .

Number "2" is a shot of the "bottom" of plastic bypass valve. Those "hooked" pieces engage the spring that resists unfiltered oil flow, until the pressure differential between the input and output sides exceeds the resistance of that spring. This part's brittle plastic composition, along with the cardboard endcaps are, IMO, the substantial weakness of current Fram design.

Did the distortion of your filter element occur in service, or as a result of your neophyte autopsy technique (
wink.gif
tongue.gif
)?

Thanks for taking the time to share this info.
cheers.gif

Is it just me or does that filter look real dirty and deformed. I am wondering if became so dirty and clogged that it stopped filtering.

How many miles on it?

What was the ADBV like? I think this is supposed to be a silicone one. Was it still flexible?

The media does look deformed, a common problem with Fram filters, as the endcaps and centertube don't give it any support.

If you think about it, since the media is bent, that would shorten it's overall length. Since Fram's endcaps are open on both ends and are used for sealing, this could potentially cause a leak.

-T

Yep...another lousy Fram filter allright...uneven/bent filter media,cheap plastic poppit by-pass valve,cardboard endcaps..so what else is new?
dunno.gif

LOL, sorry the deformed media is my fault it was my first filter to cut open.

The adbv was VERY flexible... are you sure the extra guard has silicone!?
shocked.gif

the filter had 3 months on it, and 3000km (about 1800 miles)

Morcos,
You didn't compress the media just by cutting the filter open. It gets compressed by the tensioner (leaf type) spring that centers the cartridge in the can. Just depends on how much support the cartridge gives itself..Frams are mediocre at best about that type of thing.
Thanks for the pics.
Just confirms again the typical Fram construction "after-action-reports".
Wix filters are very tight fitting also, but they stand up to that test better than the Frams do...

I don't know if you want to call it cutting... heheh,

i drilled a couple of holes. drained. then put needle nose pliers in hole and opened like a sardine can, but my poor trys lead to mangeling the filter.

im going to be to be changing 2 cars' oil in this month, i believe they both have from or equiv (ie:pennzoil).

If there is anything interesting i will post but if its the same then no.

someone said the adbv on the extra guard was silicone are u sure??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back