What's the quietest motor oil I can use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided that most motor oil nowadays are great oils, so quiet oil will do it for me.

Any recommendations will be fine, synthetics, semi-syn, conventional. Price is no object, just want the most quiet.
My changes usually run from 3k-7k miles. Some spirited driving, autox 2-3 times a year.

Mobil Super 5000 and Mobil Super High Mileage are the oils that I feel have provided me with the quietest running engines, followed by Gulf, Mobil Special, Quaker State Defy, Formula Shell, and Peak conventional.

Last edited:
What make, model, engine etc...
Different engines tend to "like" different oils. To make a general statement, many have had good luck with Pennzoil and Quaker State oils for a quiet running engine.

You are just going to have to experiment to find what is quietest in your vehicle. A search will reveal top consistent contenders though.

My experimentation suggestions would be PYB, QSGB, Peak, QSUD and Castrol Edge in the gold bottle.

Have fun!

Pennzoil products all contain good doses of moly and boron. Next choice would be Kendall full or semi synthetic. In my opinion oils with boron seem to run quieter.
Just my opinion.

Every oil that I've put my ear up to, didn't make a sound.
smile.gif
Sorry, I couldn't resist and I have nothing useful to offer about engine/oil noise.

If you have a noise problem, you might want to stay away from synthetics for awhile. I don't what it is about synthetics, but if someone is having a noise problem, they're usually using a synthetic of some kind. Either that or they're using an oil too thin for the application.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Lucas sae 70 plus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002MSEGT4?pc_redir=1395245633&robot_redir=1

I hope your joking... Lucas is poison for cars.

Lucas makes some funny snake oils, but their motor oil is just fine for intended purposes.

Not that i would ever seek any Lucas products but if i came across some of their 5w30 API SN oil on clearance i would purchase it.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/lucassynth.htm

That being said if my motor oil is loud i just put it in time out to let her think about what she has done!

Ive found in my higher mileage vehicles HDEO - diesel oil quiets what little valve train noise I have. I run Delvac 15 w 40 in my Camry just about all the time. BTW I use Delvac as I get the best price on it.

I have spent months researching this very question with a Subaru engine.

Pennzoil Conventional 10w30

Or...Mix 1 part Mobil Super 5000 5w20 and 4 parts Pennzoil conventional 10w30 for best cold and hot results.

Last edited:
I've had good success with QS oils and haven't tried the Mobil Super 5000 yet but, I will. I just bought some Mobil Super Synthetic 5W30. I will see how this works. PEAK conventional 5W30 also has impressed me thus far.

I am having great luck with PYB at the moment. I bought some QS Defy with some rebates yesterday. We shall see if that comes close to performance.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you have a noise problem, you might want to stay away from synthetics for awhile. I don't what it is about synthetics, but if someone is having a noise problem, they're usually using a synthetic of some kind. Either that or they're using an oil too thin for the application.

I feel one can go a grade up with synthetics within the allowed range of course.Look at the 5w30s from sopus:qsud ultra and platinum are all almost as light as dino 5w20s at 40c and almost as light as a thick 20grade like redline 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back