Baby dry/wet vacuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
I've been using larger Shop Vac (brand) wet/drys for years. I set them up with the huge replaceable dust bags.

Problem with them is the motors are junk. I don't even use them that often, yet I've let the smoke out the motors in as little as a year or two and have had others last 5+ years.

One thing that helps them last is, if you keep them out in the cold, let them warm to ambient before you fire them up.

I owned a larger Shop Vac brand one time for 18 months until it died. It was the switch, which was some funky push button thing in the top of the unit that I had no luck in sourcing elsewhere. The company was useless in that they said it could not be repaired (it did make it through the warranty, though.) Got PO'd at it and it is out filling a land fill somewhere.

However, cannot say enough good things about the 1 gallon unit. I have had mine 15 years, and it has been beaten up, dropped and used relentlessly. It still runs like a champ.

In regard to the Shop Vac full size unit, have no use for them. In my opinion and experience, they just don't hold up. However, my 1994 Craftsman 16 gallon just keeps going, and going...

Shop-Vac make three industrial models. They have switched reluctance motors; I think you'll find they last a very long time.
5000 hr motor life.

962-37-10 22gal
970-05-10 55gal drum
970-06-10 (same as 970-05-10, but BYOD)
ULSR002 18gal

If you vacuum something containing carbon (fireplace ashes) it shorts out motors with brushes. Wet-dry vacuum motors have a separate motor fan, but maybe some dust can still get in by being pulled from the exhaust of the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back