2012 Canyon/3.7L/Castrol Edge 5w-30/10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
my latest report. 10k/Castrol Edge/ PL25288 filter. The mileage gap from 37k to 40k is because I got an 89 performance tune and switched to full synthetic for better protection. Of course I forgot I had regular synthetic, not the extended or premium one, so the results kinda show that. With the cooler weather I did drove “spirited” (no red-line or extended WOT) until about 8k when I realized what oil I had and drove conservative from then on. Also a side note, the oil level started to go down around the 7k mark and by 10k I was at the “add” mark. By not adding oil I feel it gives a truer result. Hopefully, I didn’t do any long term damage to the engine… with the Dexos1 restriction, I will probably stay with the Syn-Blend/PF61 combo @ 5.5k oci.

No offence, but this looks awful.

Edge probably 'should' have held up better, but didn't.

Edge doesn't use Sodium, so you might have coolant, but hard to tell.

I'd forget long OCI's with this for a bit....3-5k and see what happens.

Why not pay $3.00 more for a full synthetic and do 5K OCI's with the 89 performance tune and continual spirited driving?

For normal driving without modified engine software, you can go up to 7,500 miles between servicing, but the OCI may need to be shortened to satisfy your tastes.

I agree with addyguy that you may have coolant in your oil, based on sodium. It would also explain the somewhat high wear metals.

What am I missing here? Both EDGE SPT and EDGE FST are synthetics. Whats this reference to 'full synthetic.?'

I concur, based on the previous uoa at 32k the TBN was already down to 0.8 with 6,500 mi.
I would stick to 5-6k oci with syn and I think your wear numbers will be back down.
Just curious what was your previous oil used? that could explain the sodium, maybe try a sopus or Mobil oil next, good luck

Mobil Super has shown better TBN retention and wear numbers. Save some money, unless you care about using a Dexos oil, then find the cheapest possible Dexos oil. I think there are house brand oils that would out perform this over 10k.

Add – i agree, my oci’s will be 5-5.5k, but shooting for 6k.

147- trying to slow down on the spirited driving, the tune was to help my mpg numbers because of slightly bigger tires, which it did, the fun factor is a bonus
smile.gif
Cost wise Castrol Titanium is the same price as Edge, ($25/gal), so it’s a better deal for sure, just not looking for extended OCI’s.

Jag – next sample should shed some light. My 3.5L also showed above average wear metals using MS5000/M1/M1EP, so no biggie there.

Slatron – Castrol Syn-Blend 5w-30

Salv – Castrol is the cheapest brand name I could find. The “house” brands were about $5-7 less, so I didn’t feel it was worth switching

my goal this time is going 5-6K oci’s without having to add oil. From previous reports on my 3.5 & now 3.7, they tend to start consuming oil around the 7k mark. I’d like to stick with Castrol just for comparison reasons. I sold my 2005 Colorado with 128k miles using M1 products … I appreciate everyone comments and thoughts

Last edited:
The UOA would probably have looked a lot better if you had topped off during the run and had an additional quart in there. Just topping off would probably make the 10k doable. Oversize tires are really hard on an engine though. If it was me, I'd stick to full synthetic and a little shorter run even keeping it topped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back