QUAKER STATE 10W-40 RACING OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone. i recently shop this oil in costco store in ensenada mexico. it's say made in mexico, but i could't find any info about this oil on net. they have info about 5w-30, 10w-30, 15w-40, but not in 10w-40 grade. i have honda civic lx 2000 manual with 305k on odometer, any advices.....

7th gen civics (D17A1 varieties) are happy running in 5W20, 5W30, etc.

I personally would not even consider using 10W30, letting alone 10W40.

Q.

I see no reason to run an oil that thick, especially a "race" oil which might not be designed for usage of several thousand miles.

Just buy Quaker State green bottle in the states. However good the price may have seemed in pesos at Costco, it will be about half that on sale in the states. "Racing Oil" is near the bottom of the Quaker State line up. All of Quaker State's Mexican product line are formulated and bottled in Mexico using mostly imported components.

Mexican product line from best to worst:

QSUD = exact same as American QSUD, just bottled in Mexico
GreenTech = Friction modified oil only available in 20w-50 or 5w-30 [dyed green]
XTR-Pro = premium mineral oil similar in quality to QSGB
Difay = non-synthetic version of Defy with spelling modified to prevent mis-pronunciation
Racing Oil = mid range oil, [competes directly with Mobil Special]
Alto Kilometraje = Bottom of the barrel high mileage oil
HD = Monograde

10w-40 is probably a new viscosity that doesn't show up on their website yet. Typically the only 10w-40 oils found in Mexico are motorcycle specialty products. The viscosity never caught on here.

Oh, by the way, Quaker State Racing Oil is not racing oil. It is just the brand name of the oil. The English word "racing" has no meaning in Spanish, and therefore the product doesn't actually have to be racing oil to be labeled as such. It is a lower mid range oil used by many mechanics for their free oil change services, i.e., oil change labor free with purchase of oil and filter. Pretty much any parts store or supermarket sells it in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back