Never change oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, looks like my 2009 Chrysler Town & Country will be one of the infamous ones that uses a quart of oil every one thousand miles. According to what I have read, the Oil Life Monitor is set to go off around 7500 miles, and that will be my guide since I use full synthetic motor oil.

Based on the current usage, that would mean I will have added five to six quarts between OCI's. At that rate, what would be the point of changing oil? I know the oil will probably thicken somewhat and that there will be some additive depletion. However, there should be a considerably amount of fresh additives going back into the crankcase.

At the very least, a 15k to 20k mile OCI would seem like a doable option. This is my first oil change with this vehicle and I used Mobil 1. I will give it a couple of OCI's to see if usage subsides at all. If not, I will have to take a look at my oil selection. SuperTech may have to be my go to oil based on cost. As a side note, I used a mixture of 5w/30 and 10w/30 Mobil 1 because that is what I had in my stash.

Please share your thoughts on what a reasonable OCI should be given the current rate of consumption with this vehicle. Thank you in advance.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I think you make a good case to never dump it. I'd change the filter every 5-10K though.

Agree in principle, but there will still be a certain quantity of particles in suspension. Maybe 15k? Maybe with a UOA at 10k.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I think you make a good case to never dump it. I'd change the filter every 5-10K though.

Agree in principle, but there will still be a certain quantity of particles in suspension. Maybe 15k? Maybe with a UOA at 10k.

Right, I've always wondered about that. Is the soot going to be burned with the oil or does it continue to build up until you have a thick syrup like mess?

I had an 88 Mustang 5.0 that was like that almost new from the factory. I used M1 and changed the oil every five k. Sold the car to my sister and she also changed the oil every five k but switched to conventional. Car had 200k when it left our family, and I am told someone is still driving it. It was just a very loosely put together engine.

I had a friend that did that with a car that had a substantial VC gasket leak. Dump a quart in every 1000 miles and change the filter every 5-6

Ahhh,the longer stroke 3.8 so unlike the 3.3s that dont usually have the oil burning issue.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
I think it is time for a new or at least newer car.

2009 model with 66K doesn't sound old to me. I'd be very disappointed if it were my car. My civic consumed like this but only towards 200k miles.

Go with the cheapest dino you can find, jugs of supertech would be good. Do a complete dump and filter change at 10k. At 66k, may last you another 200k.

My Saturn burns oil at a rate of 1 quart every 1000-1200 miles.. I believe it is still a good idea to change oil at a standard interval, I typically go 4-5k.. While you are getting fresh additives regularly.. you aren't getting rid of any contaminates, and the filter also needs to be changed.

IMO you would be better off to go with cheap dino, and a inexpensive filter and change it at a regular interval.

You still might be under Chrysler's lifetime power train warranty they were running at the time. It requires a 5yr free checkup and your right around time for it. You still might even have some of the 5/50 or 7/70 power train left.

Swing by your local Chrysler dealer, ASAP!

I have a car that burns/leaks oil every 1-1.5k, I still change it every 5-6k, but maybe that's because I have an oil stash. When I didn't have the stash of free oil, I was doing 7-10k oil changes along with the quart every few thousand miles. I usually start with a synthetic blend and then just add dino as needed.

I've seen more than a dozen engines use a quart of oil, Then not use a drop in 15K mile OCI's. My dad's '97 S-10 4.3L will burn the top quart off in 500 miles.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Ok, looks like my 2009 Chrysler Town & Country will be one of the infamous ones that uses a quart of oil every one thousand miles. According to what I have read, the Oil Life Monitor is set to go off around 7500 miles, and that will be my guide since I use full synthetic motor oil.

Based on the current usage, that would mean I will have added five to six quarts between OCI's. At that rate, what would be the point of changing oil? I know the oil will probably thicken somewhat and that there will be some additive depletion. However, there should be a considerably amount of fresh additives going back into the crankcase.

At the very least, a 15k to 20k mile OCI would seem like a doable option. This is my first oil change with this vehicle and I used Mobil 1. I will give it a couple of OCI's to see if usage subsides at all. If not, I will have to take a look at my oil selection. SuperTech may have to be my go to oil based on cost. As a side note, I used a mixture of 5w/30 and 10w/30 Mobil 1 because that is what I had in my stash.

Please share your thoughts on what a reasonable OCI should be given the current rate of consumption with this vehicle. Thank you in advance.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
I think it is time for a new or at least newer car.
This is the op's new car.
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Ahhh,the longer stroke 3.8 so unlike the 3.3s that dont usually have the oil burning issue.
This is a new to the op van. His other van is also a 3.8 with apparently no issues.

otis24 I would first look for leaks, or other issues. At that age and miles, there shouldn't be any, but who knows? Make sure the PCV is clean and the associated plumbing is good. Change it every year or so, they're cheep. I would start with a high mileage oil Pennzoil or similar brand, with that usage you don't need a synthetic, it's just a waste of money. Use any suitable filter, I use a motorcraft FL1-A on all my mopars, except my new 2013 GC. If the HM oil don't help, go with something like a 15-40 oil + whatever leftovers you have from other oil changes. Go until the oil starts getting dark before changing it.

I have a 94 GC with 240K on it. Gets 1200-1400 miles/qt. Always has. I use supertech 15-40 and change when it gets too dark to see the dipstick or 10k, which ever comes first. I've tried every oil brand & weight, makes no difference. My son has put over 100k on it that way. Runs fine.
I'm on my 6th. van. I know a little bit about them. If you want to talk, PM me your ph # and a good time.

Good luck,

Wayne

YMMV

Last edited:
As a side note, I used a mixture of 5w/30 and 10w/30 Mobil 1 because that is what I had in my stash.

That's your problem right there. Mobil 1 5W-30/10W-30 is actually more like 0W-10.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
As a side note, I used a mixture of 5w/30 and 10w/30 Mobil 1 because that is what I had in my stash.

That's your problem right there. Mobil 1 5W-30/10W-30 is actually more like 0W-10.

Umm...... No. Just no. No!
Mobil 1 has a habit of being the syn that people use, and experience burning, your theory is just wrong.

Replace your PCV valve, really check for oil leaks, especially the back bank valve cover. Then try a different type of oil. Any Pennzoil or Quaker State 5w-20/30.

Then report back. You may have power train warranty left, Go check at the Chrysler dealer.

I have a buddy who uses M1 in a chevy 350 that leaks enough that he just changes the filter once a year, 350k on it and never had an internal problem yet, other than a huge leak!

My Dad and I went about 8 years on a dozer but it's designed to burn a gallon every 8 hours! We don't run it too much but 8 years was probably a bit long.

For those who are unaware, the Dodge/Chrysler 3.8 engines are known for oil consumption. My other van (2005 Grand Caravan, 3.8) was purchased new. It consumed about .75 quarts of oil in 1200 miles using conventional motor oil. It was that fact that led me to discover BITOG and to switch to synthetic motor oil. Switching to synthetic reduced consumption to about .5 qts in 2000 miles.

Dodge/Chrysler considers one qt/1000 miles normal. I am hoping the switch to full synthetic will reduce consumption in the Chrysler.

If not, i am weighing my options. First option would be a hyper-extended OCI using a name brand synthetic (10k plus oci). Second option would be a shorter oci (5k) using a name brand conventional.

At this point, if synthetic does not reduce consumption, the only benefit that i see is the cold flow properties afforded by synthetic. I am not sure that in the long term, better cold-flow properties alone are enough to justify the cost of synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Agree in principle, but there will still be a certain quantity of particles in suspension.

If that's the case the OP needs to use diesel oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back