Best Cartridge Style Filters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife's Kia Sedona 3.8L V6 van takes a cartridge style oil filter - of the available choices I've seen (besides the more expensive OEM oil filter ) are Pure 1 , NAPA and Fram Tough Guard ... Which one(s) would be ok for a 7,500 mile OCI using synthetic oil ? Also , the Pure 1 cartridge oil filter features a 99% + level of filteration ...Should I be concerned this cartridge filter would be too restrictive ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
... Also , the Pure 1 cartridge oil filter features a 99% + level of filteration ...Should I be concerned this cartridge filter would be too restrictive ?

Absolutely not. A much posted thread here proves that P1 flows as well as or better than comparable oil filters from other manufacturers.

I've found Napa Gold/Wix cartridges to be excellent quality, and when obtained at local Napa store sale, half the cost of oem, specifically those from Hyundai/Kia.

I have a Hyundai Azera with a 3.8 v6 in it and I almost always use the Fram 9999 filter in it. Never had any problems and it looks just as good as new when I take it out... aside from the color ha ha. I have used the purolators, napa, and oem and they all seemed to hold up equally well, but aside from sales I can generally get the frams the cheapest. I would have to say the Purolator was actually my least favorite due to fit. With the size mine takes (I don't know if your's uses the same one or not) the Purolator uses some kind of felt on the end caps where it seals to the center cage while all the others use O-rings and fit so much better and tighter. The Purolator was rather loose on there and I didn't especially care for that. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Pure 1 , NAPA and Fram Tough Guard ... Which one(s) would be ok for a 7,500 mile OCI using synthetic oil ?

The cartridge version of these are all keepers.

I was going to purchase a Mann for a recent evaluation (posted a few weeks back with pics) of YZZA1 style cartridge filters for a Toyota and put it back on the shelf. Both boxes I opened had QC issues with unevenly spaced pleats and poorly applied epoxy that Stevie Wonder could have spotted coming off the line.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know Stevie did filter QC
smile.gif
Music business must be doggin'.

In my Sedona I've used a couple Fram TG 9999 filters since I bought the van last summer. I'm only doing 5k mile OCIs but the filters held up very well. They are built solidly. I have a couple K&N filters that I'm going to use in the next few OCIs, and they too look very solidly built. Cartridge filters are hard to mess up IMO. No ADBV, no bypass valve. Just hard plastic endcaps (in my case) with some media in between, and a couple of built-in o-rings. If all looks nicely assembled, nothing to worry about. As an added benefit, the 9999 filter is HUGE. At something like 5.1" tall, it has a lot of holding capacity. That is of course assuming that your Sedona takes this filter. Sometime in the latter portion of the '08 model year, Kia/Hyundai switched that engine to a similar but shorter cartridge filter, I think around 4.25". My Sedona uses the bigger one.

Thanks for the quick replies : Yes , my Sedona can take the Fram TG9999 model filter - will look at Walmart for these or go with the NAPA Gold #7061 as being the best quality versus price ...Local Auto Parts Store wants $12.99 ea. for the Pure 1 which is a bit steep .

I've been using the Napa Gold cartridge filters in our 12 Sedona ever since we got it. No issues of any kind and they still look fantastic when removed at 7k miles, that is with lots of short tripping.

As soon as we are no longer under warranty most likely I will change them every other OCI. If you watch you can catch them on sale cheaper than any other alternative brand I've found as well. Wix quality at the best price too, what's not to like?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I've been using the Napa Gold cartridge filters in our 12 Sedona ever since we got it. No issues of any kind and they still look fantastic when removed at 7k miles, that is with lots of short tripping.

As soon as we are no longer under warranty most likely I will change them every other OCI. If you watch you can catch them on sale cheaper than any other alternative brand I've found as well. Wix quality at the best price too, what's not to like?

One of the advantage of cartridge oil filter is you can check condition of the filter and reuse it if it looks okay.

You can always get the Ultra XG9999 which is a very robust looking filter. I would probably run it more than once interval if it was a shorter one though.

Ultra XG9999 or TG9999 would be on my future list if I can find them at WM at a good price ...For now I went with NAPA Gold for under $10.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back