Help! The wrong oil was used!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave it. No way I'd drain that expensive oil for that reason. If you had that vehicle in a foreign country they would be using 10w40 and 20w50 and not worrying a bit. 5w30 might be a better choice anyways.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Leave it - GM specced this exact same engine for their 2010 Impala's with 5w30. (3.5L V6 with VVT)

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Che...pala_owners.pdf

The only reason Ford opts for the 5w20 is to help improve their Cafe standard. 5w30 will still provide the protection you need for this application.

The engines are from two complete different manufacturers. The fact that they share the same displacement in litres doesn't mean anything.

I'm also in the "you're fine leave it alone" camp. I've used 5w-30 for extended periods in my Fords requiring primarily 5w-20 with no problem.

Originally Posted By: AP9
Better a little too thick than a little too thin . . .

Better a little too thin than a little too thick.

You could get an oil sucker for about 20 bucks and suck it out the dipstick. Put it in your other vehicle.

I'm going to do this in my Mustang as I think the German Castrol is too thick.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Ah, it's the other way around.

I misread the owners manual for my wife's 07 Camry (the table covers the V6 too) and mistakenly ran M1 5W30 in a car that calls for 0W20/5W20. I did this for about 45K miles. There was no apparent problem from using the higher viscosity oil. The car has 106K on it now so if there is going to be a problem (and I sincerely doubt there will be) it will come something north of 100K.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Ah, it's the other way around.

Says who. Where's the documentation?

Common sense.

Keep in mind I am one that prefers thin as possible.

Too thin you have a dead engine. Too thick the engine is just a little less efficient.

Holy wall of text Batman!!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Common sense.

Keep in mind I am one that prefers thin as possible.

Too thin you have a dead engine. Too thick the engine is just a little less efficient.

There is a study somewhere here on the site that does a statistical analysis on all the UOAs here. The 20wt oils show lower iron as a pattern than the 30wt.

I'll try and find it again.

Leave it in
It wont hurt at all
I am starting to think that BITOG does more harm than good cause folks start over thinking

Don't feel bad, one time I took my truck to the dealership for some stuff, and an oil change. I had the oil and filter in a box in the open bed of the truck, and I told them to use the oil I provided. When I went back to get it, the oil that I bought, and the filter were still in the box in my truck bed. I thought about asking them why, etc., but decided to just forget it, and go on. I am pretty sure I had mobil 1 and a wix in the box, but that is not what went on and in the truck. I figured it isn't worth getting into it with them, so, I didn't.

i know companies that ran bulk oil in everything, including company cars spec'ed for 5w20.

bulk oil was 5w40 to 15w40, then it was 10w30 hdeo for awhile, now its 10w40

While the general consensus is that the 20w oils were introduced because of CAFE standards, I have read some stuff recently that the main motivation for the 20w oils over 30w oils was that the 20w will dissipate heat more quickly. Not sure if that was the reason, but a lighter fluid will generally dissipate heat quicker.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have read some stuff recently that the main motivation for the 20w oils over 30w oils was that the 20w will dissipate heat more quickly. Not sure if that was the reason, but a lighter fluid will generally dissipate heat quicker.

that's a claim that demands some evidence...got some ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back