2006 LR3 4.4l Oil/ Filter/ OCI reccomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDB

Hello! I've been a lurker for some time... been trying to find a similar question and answer/ but came up short in terms of satisfactory answers.

I've got a 2006 Land Rover LR3 - 167,000 miles. 4.4l Jaguar engine.
I live at 5600 feet, play at 6000-11000 feet of elevation.
I'm looking for OIL/ Filter/ OCI combo suggestions. Been considering RP, Amsoil, M1 EP, Penzoil... but i'm open to whatever is going to keep my engine happy.

I'd consider my driving habits as severe - easily. Early in the car's life it was a white collar work car - driving to and from a couple of cities/ the airport/ office/ driving customers around/ easy highway roadtrips.
The last several years it still sees work style duty (not severe) but it also sees LOTS of dirt roads (unimproved, but not quite rock crawling), lots of spirited driving, heavy loads (lots of road trips with guys and moto's), etc.

OCI's have been anywhere from 5-10k (convenience often plays a factor)
Never done a test on the oil (would rather not, as i'll probably not do this consistently with my insane work schedule)
Early in life I used castrol oil with OEM filters. Been using mobile one or royal purple lately with wix or royal purple filters. I notice it runs a bit queiter with RP products... but i'm aware this doesn't mean it's better for my vehicle.

My objective - is to keep the vehicle until 250-300k. I probably should have gotten more serious about the best oil/ filter/ oci combo earlier... but it is what it is.

I know a lot folks are all about cost to performance ration... but i'm not. As long a i'm paying around around $10/qt or below I don't really care. not too concerned with filter cost (no, i'm not going to install a 2 filter system)

ok - ask me questions and i'll give you answers if you don't have what you need to work with.

I'm looking for OIL/ Filter/ OCI combo suggestions. Been considering RP, Amsoil, M1 EP, Penzoil... but i'm open to whatever is going to keep my engine happy.

If possible, please don't represent your brand loyalties... I like to see some evidence/ studies/ real world numbers (there's plenty of conflicting evidence posted in these forums)... but experience is also helpful.

thanks!!

Mobil1 0w-40
Castrol Edge 0w-40 or 5w-40
Castrol 0w-30

(in that order)

.. would be my choice. Add Napa Gold filter and sleep well at night.

i understand that 0w-40 is a more heat versatile oil... but does that come at an expense?

for example - does 0w-40 provide better protection at temperature extremes vs 5w30 but less protection at a middle engine temp?

As you know - Here in Colorado - it rarely gets really cold (i used to live in Chicago, where it got wicked cold) and I garage my vehicle in a heated garage... and my cooling system does a good job of keeping the engine temp in check when it's warm.

Do i actually get more protection from a more versatile oil?

Never looked into changing viscosity ratings on my oil.

Thanks!

doing some additional reading - it sems that many folks seem to think the thicker oil may cause some issues in and engine spec'd for thinner oil?

Originally Posted By: PDB
i understand that 0w-40 is a more heat versatile oil... but does that come at an expense?

First off, what does the engine call for? Is it looking for an ACEA type 5w-20, an ordinary North American style 5w-30 conventional, or a European A3/B3 A3/B4 type oil?

All things being equal, a 0w-40 such as M1, Castrol, RP, or whatever floats your boat is often a very good, safe compromise if one is not sure, particularly in a European application.

Well, there's nothing wrong with a 5w-30 then, either. It's out of warranty, I'm sure, so there's not a lot of concern there. A 40 of some sort would be fine, as would a 0w-30. Maybe they've even been backspeced to a 5w-20. Nonetheless, I can't see the originally recommended 5w-30 to be a problem, nor a 0w-40 or the like.

I wonder if it has a weird specification with respect to the 5w-30, rather than simply any API/ILSAC 5w-30.

I remembered in another thread we had a heck of a time finding a readily available oil for a British car (probably a Jag). The old M1 SM/GF-4 variety met the strange Ford spec, but the SN/GF-5 M1 did not. Castrol OE was about the only option, since neither of the consumer grade Syntec varieties met it, either. Although in that case, if the vehicle were out of warranty, I couldn't see a problem with the proper grade of Syntec or M1, both being A1/B1 type lubricants anyhow.

Good stuff - thanks all!

Yea, I'm a big fan of the large oil capacity. I notice a big difference in my engines and suspension with larger oil capacity.

I'm probably going to stick with 5w30 after reading more about it in high mileage / older engines.
I'm liking what I have been reading about mobile 1 EP.

For oci- I'm thinking 7k miles

Thoughts on filters?

Thanks again all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back