sentra 1.8 only a 3 qt fill...dino or synthethtic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I'd use the best quality synthetic oil I could find and change it every 3000 miles.

don't forget to use an Ultra filter as well

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Well, then that would be a big waste.

better to waste a little than risk a lot.

The Valvoline engine insurance is based on a 3000 mi oil change.

Whatta we talking? "Wasting" 50 bucks a year?

He doesn't risk anything. Show me any difference in protection or wear with syn vs conventional in a 3,000 mile interval. You won't find the data.

It's an economy car, not a Bugatti. I'd rather spend the $50 on morning coffee on the way to work.

better to waste a little than risk a lot.

You are the one that believes using a little too "thin" lube is better than using one that is a little too "thick".

This is a bit contradictory is it not?

It's an economy car, not a Bugatti.

So if it was a Bugatti you would do synthetic 3K intervals?

If he finds clearance oil and filters at AZ or Walmart and does his own changes probably more like wasting 20 a year.

We spend 1000s on taxes, insurance, maintenance etc. What's another 20 bucks?

If he finds clearance oil and filters at AZ or Walmart and does his own changes probably more like wasting 20 a year.

Waste of resources with diminishing value.

If I owned a Bugatti, I would use the recommended lubricant to the OE interval.

The OP's car is an '04 Sentra. Recommending synthetic to a 3,000 mile interval is completely asinine. There is no reason to spend the money if you do not have to.

I bought my '06 Sentra from the original owner a couple of years ago. It's got 175K miles and still going strong. My only complaint is the less than stellar mileage (low 30's highway), but I knew that going in.

I've run Amsoil XL since I've had it and change it in the spring and fall with a Wix filter. Due to budget constraints, I'm moving over to Mobil 1 HM (or EP if on sale) and continuing with the same spring (10w-30)/fall (5w-30) drain schedule. With the Amsoil it never needed a drop added in between changes, which was about 7-8K miles before reducing my commute last fall by some 7,000 miles/year with a new job. Looking forward to dropping in the Mobil 1 EP I picked up on sale to see if there are any noticeable changes. An interesting thing to note on this engine, Nissan does approve 10w-40 in the engine. Don't think I'd run that thick in there, but then again, if I hang on to it a few more years...

13552098145_8ab60a3220.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The oiling system is a closed loop. 3 quarts will go around the loop twice as many times as 6 quarts will.

The flip side is that the oil and the engine is going to get up to temperature a more qickly. Considering the length of the average trip in a car, that's a good thing.

Add me to the list of people who've put >200K miles on an SR20DE with no issues. I used a full synthetic for 10K intervals (Amsoil 0W30) since it had a tiny sump, and it was sparkling clean when the teenager I sold it to wrapped it around a telephone pole...

If I owned a Bugatti, I would use the recommended lubricant to the OE interval.
The OP's car is an '04 Sentra. Recommending synthetic to a 3,000 mile interval is completely asinine. There is no reason to spend the money if you do not have to.

Spot on Zaedock!
thumbsup2.gif

I've seen this time and time again on BITOG. When someone with a clear bias and no desire to learn something new runs out of logical arguments (in a lot of cases it's rather quick
wink.gif
), they will start throwing "cheap insurance", "what's another XX bucks?", "I use the best for my baby", etc.
In other words, there is no sense wasting your time. They will continue to spew nonsense and nothing will stop that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back