Change grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using Valvoline Synpower NLGI #2 grease as my general purpose automotive grease (suspension, steering linkage, u-joints...) and have no complaints what so ever. Haven't used it terribly much lately as my truck and bike don't have any fittings and the car only has a couple but still.

Anyways, just wondering about "Super Lube" as it reminds me a lot of the Triflow Synthetic Grease. Has anybody used this as a wheel and chassis grease and how has it performed? Is it worth the extra over something like Synpower?

I think most people would be hard pressed to determine if one grease worked better than another.

I use the Valvoline grease that is pinkish-red.

And some other waterproof grease for boat and trailer.

Valvoline dont give many specs on their website. I'd be happy to use it as a chassis grease but I would use something else in a bearing. Moly is not the best additive to use in a bearing or UJ. It can cause the balls to slide rather than roll.

Originally Posted By: supercity
Valvoline dont give many specs on their website. I'd be happy to use it as a chassis grease but I would use something else in a bearing. Moly is not the best additive to use in a bearing or UJ. It can cause the balls to slide rather than roll.

IIRC when I called their tech line last year they confirmed that Durablend and Synpower are approcx 1% moly content, not sure if that's weight or volume, though. Their PDF lists the following:

Originally Posted By: Valvoline Product Info PDF

VALVOLINE SYNPOWER GREASE
Valvoline SynPower Grease is an excellent heavy-duty and multi-purpose automotive and industrial extreme pressure grease. It consists of a lithium complex thickener in synthetic base oil and is fortified with molybdenum disulfide and other quality additives. It provides protection from high loads and may be used over a wide temperature range.
Valvoline SynPower Grease is recommended for use in disc brake wheel bearings, all-purpose chassis lubrication, suspension systems, universal joints, steering linkage, and constant velocity joint applications.
Character: Molybdenum Disulfide, Rust and Oxidation Inhibited, Extreme Pressure Fortified
Approvals/Performance Levels
NLGI GC/LB, MACK GC-G
Typical Properties
NLGI Grade
Thickener Type
Lithium Complex
Color and Texture
Gray-Black / Buttery
ASTM Worked Penetration @ 77° F
ASTM Dropping Pt, °F
500 min.
ASTM D-1743 Rust Test
Pass
Weld Pt., kg
Load Wear Index, kg
60 min.
Vis @ 100°C (cSt)
Viscosity Index
Pour Point °C
Timken OK Load, lbs
60 min.

1% is not much either way. It's seems like they try to formulate it to cover the widest application range rather than excel at any one thing. That is the nature of general purpose greases I guess. For low performance stuff like farm equipment its not so critical but that is not what they market it against.

IMO you should use at least 2 greases on a high performance vehicle or piece of equipment. High temp & bearings vs Slow moving high load areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back