Update on the Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FU is a pretty darn efficient filter.

But so is their TG; rated at the same efficiency, yet for less miles due to lower media holding capacity (as if 10k FCI miles were anything the typical BITOGer would ever see ......). I personally have become a TG convert; great price and ease of attainment. I fear not the fiber end cap.

I have run a Puro Classic to 10k miles and MC FL400 to 15k miles; UOAs and PCs came back fine. Taking a TG to 10k miles is still probably a waste of a filter. Taking a FU to 15k miles is probably a waste of a filter. Most companies are ultra (pun intended) conservative in their applications because it reduces their liability. With the FU rated at 15k miles, it most certainly is capable of more in normal use.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The FU is a pretty darn efficient filter.

But so is their TG; rated at the same efficiency, yet for less miles due to lower media holding capacity (as if 10k FCI miles were anything the typical BITOGer would ever see ......). I personally have become a TG convert; great price and ease of attainment. I fear not the fiber end cap.

I have run a Puro Classic to 10k miles and MC FL400 to 15k miles; UOAs and PCs came back fine. Taking a TG to 10k miles is still probably a waste of a filter. Taking a FU to 15k miles is probably a waste of a filter. Most companies are ultra (pun intended) conservative in their applications because it reduces their liability. With the FU rated at 15k miles, it most certainly is capable of more in normal use.

DN3, I have noticed in your past posts you were using a MC FL-400S oil filter. What YMMV and engine were you using it on?

I ran the FL400S on my wife's 1995 Village (Nissan VG30E) for 15k miles. UOA posted elsewhere here, as well as a dissection of the filter in this sub-forum.

Originally Posted By: steve20
I am at 6500 miles on QSUD 5-30 & an FU filter. Wiped the dipstick with a paper dinner napkin, and let it sit overnight. Wish i could post pics, because the oil spot on the napkin is the same color as new oil---amazing filtering ability

I find the same thing. The Fram ULTRA, IMO has to be the best bang for the money in filtering ability....but to make it a best buy buy, you need to either use it twicw (i.e. 2 X 7500), or once with a longer OCI (9 to 10K plus).

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I am at 6500 miles on QSUD 5-30 & an FU filter. Wiped the dipstick with a paper dinner napkin, and let it sit overnight. Wish i could post pics, because the oil spot on the napkin is the same color as new oil---amazing filtering ability

I find the same thing. The Fram ULTRA, IMO has to be the best bang for the money in filtering ability....but to make it a best buy buy, you need to either use it twicw (i.e. 2 X 7500), or once with a longer OCI (9 to 10K plus).

Of all the oil filters FRAM makes the FU would be the only one I would ever consider using. But, I would NEVER use ANY oil filter more than once. But, I would use it for at least a 7.5-8K mile OCI.
"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Of all the oil filters FRAM makes the FU would be the only one I would ever consider using. But, I would NEVER use ANY oil filter more than once. But, I would use it for at least a 7.5-8K mile OCI.
"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

yes, you have mentioned that before. nice usage of your font size capability. I think you are smoking to much of that boudin sausage.
grin.gif

"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

Why is this? Why only use 1 filter for 1 OCI?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

"One Filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

Well, I can give so many reasons as to why but I will only list the ones that matter the most. I am quite sure I will get flamed for some, or maybe all of my choices, but it really does not matter to me.
1) I will not filter new oil through a dirty filter.
2) New oil filters are cheap insurance.
3) Because I can!

Quote:

Well, I can give so many reasons as to why but I will only list the ones that matter the most. I am quite sure I will get flamed for some, or maybe all of my choices, but it really does not matter to me.

New oil through a dirty filter is still clean oil. In fact, the filter is probably more efficient being a little dirty than it is clean.
grin.gif

Of course you don't want to over-run an oil filter, but that doesn't mean you can't have more than one OCI on it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Quote:

New oil through a dirty filter is still clean oil. In fact, the filter is probably more efficient being a little dirty than it is clean.
grin.gif

Of course you don't want to over-run an oil filter, but that doesn't mean you can't have more than one OCI on it.

Opinions are like........well, you know.
grin.gif

3) Because I can!

grin.gif

3) Because I can!

Then just say that and leave out the half-arsed "technical reasons".
grin.gif

grin.gif

3) Because I can!

Then just say that and leave out the half-arsed "technical reasons".
grin.gif

If I did that then no one would want to flame me.
27.gif

I think I used this example once before.
Let's say you are a dialysis patient. You are the next patient in line to have your blood run through the machine. Isn't there some sort of a filter on that machine? The doctor cleans the machine but does not change the filter.....
FLAME ON!
28.gif

^^^ Engines don't get diseases from "oil transfusions".
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

BOF ~~~>
07.gif
My point was, would "you" want your blood filtered through a filter that was just used by the previous patient?

laugh.gif

BOF ~~~>
07.gif
My point was, would "you" want your blood filtered through a filter that was just used by the previous patient?

Do you know how much oil is left over from the previous OCI inside the sump? The new oil gets mixed with old every time you change your oil. Try running an oil with a sodium cleaning system then run something without sodium then do UOA a few OCI's down the road. You will still find sodium.

I sure hope there isn't a doctor out there who uses those practices. Lol.

How do any of you really know when a filter is maxxed out and not filtering anymore?
I dont understand why you want to take a chance on overusing a filter when they are the cheapest replacement part on the engine

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
How do any of you really know when a filter is maxxed out and not filtering anymore?
I dont understand why you want to take a chance on overusing a filter when they are the cheapest replacement part on the engine

Agreed. Why skimp over a few bucks?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69

Based on that logic, I may as well just toss on a new one every time I get gas?

A visual inspection of every filter I've used gives some pretty good insight, as does some pretty basic math on containment levels and holding capacity. I don't see any increased risk in using a filter for 15K in a clean engine. The fact that OEM's have for years recommended using filters for two oil changes should suggest that it's not the crazy idea some make it out to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back