P-OAT Concentrate for Asian Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those looking for an Asian formula Concentrate found this this at PepBoys. Made by Recochem in Canada. Comes in Green, Blue, Red and Pink. $20 a gallon. The Green and Blue recommended for all Asian cars, the Red and Pink recommended for Toyota/Lexus. I bought a gallon for my timing belt job on my 95 Accord. here is a link to the TDS http://www.reco-cool.com/media/uploads/data_sheets/Long_Life_OAT-P_Formula_Concentrate.pdf What do you all think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I think you should just flush your system and refill with the easier to get long life green stuff.

Why? Easier to get? I walked into PepBoys and picked it up off the shelf don't know how much easier to get than that! I can flush w/ distilled water then add the concentrate at 1/2 the system capacity no fooling around w/ 50/50. Plus it is compatible w/ any of the Asian OME fluids.

Originally Posted By: jmb106
For those looking for an Asian formula Concentrate found this this at PepBoys. Made by Recochem in Canada. Comes in Green, Blue, Red and Pink. $20 a gallon. The Green and Blue recommended for all Asian cars, the Red and Pink recommended for Toyota/Lexus. I bought a gallon for my timing belt job on my 95 Accord. here is a link to the TDS http://www.reco-cool.com/media/uploads/data_sheets/Long_Life_OAT-P_Formula_Concentrate.pdf What do you all think?

I have run into these folks before. It's a privately held corporation in Montreal, QC, which began as a packager/distributor.

Recochem Coolants

Assuming the specifications are correct and met, it seems to meet the requirements of most Asian vehicles.

If you look at their line-up:

Coolant Selector

you see they offer four basic coolants, three of which are available with different color dyes to match the OEM colors: generic Asian, G-05, G-48, and G-40.

If you buy enough of it, they'll apparently dye it any color you want.

Interesting. Well, the Toyota red is only $24.95 a gallon at my local dealer so that's not much of a difference.

What "green stuff"? You mean Honda Type 2? That's mostly green. Ford long-life? That's green. Or do you mean Nissan genuine coolant? That's green.

I think you should just flush your system and refill with the easier to get long life green stuff.

longlife_extended_coolant.png

You people are wasting money on pink/red stuff from the dealer. Pep Boys is not convenient for me.

Last edited:
I looked up the MSDS for Recochem Toyota Pink coolant:

http://64.26.129.203/_profiles/_msds/16-184POEMT.pdf

Surprisingly, they are reporting sodium benzoate, which is found in the regular-drain-interval Toyota Red coolant.

Does this mean that this actually the equivalent of regular-drain-interval Toyota Red coolant applicable for 1995 and earlier Toyotas or there is also sebacic acid not reported and it's indeed equivalent of extended-life Toyota Pink coolant for 1996 and newer Toyotas?

In any case, I would be more comfortable with picking the Toyota Pink or Red from a Toyota dealer, knowing exactly what it is.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I looked up the MSDS for Recochem Toyota Pink coolant:

http://64.26.129.203/_profiles/_msds/16-184POEMT.pdf

Surprisingly, they are reporting sodium benzoate, which is found in the regular-drain-interval Toyota Red coolant.

Does this mean that this actually the equivalent of regular-drain-interval Toyota Red coolant applicable for 1995 and earlier Toyotas or there is also sebacic acid not reported and it's indeed equivalent of extended-life Toyota Pink coolant for 1996 and newer Toyotas?

In any case, I would be more comfortable with picking the Toyota Pink or Red from a Toyota dealer, knowing exactly what it is.

Chances are that the sebacic acid isn't reported because it's considered nonhazardous and Recochem Toyota is indeed an attempted clone of Toyota Pink (Toyota Super Long Life) extended-life coolant.

Nevertheless, is there any price advantage over the genuine Toyota Pink coolant, which sells for about $16.87?

So says the guy who wants stainless-steel spring clamps
wink.gif

You people are wasting money on pink/red stuff from the dealer. Pep Boys is not convenient for me.

Nothing surprising there.

Sodium benzoate is used in a number of long-life coolants as the or one of the organic acid(s), including G-05. The Toyota Red used it, while the Toyota Pink uses sebacic acid.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

Nothing surprising there.

Sodium benzoate is used in a number of long-life coolants as the or one of the organic acid(s), including G-05. The Toyota Red used it, while the Toyota Pink uses sebacic acid.

I am aware of all that. What I meant was that Toyota Red (as well as G-05) mostly uses sodium benzoate and Toyota Pink mostly uses sebacic acid. Apparently Toyota Pink also uses a small amount of sodium benzoate as well. In fact, many traditional American green coolants throw some sodium benzoate in the inhibitor package.

As I said in a recent thread on the mech board when another poster mentioned it as a Honda option, I find it very intriguing. And the best part, it comes as a concentrate for ~$20/gal, which means a complete flush is easily accomplished and it's also much more cost effective than the other Long(er) Life Asian oem P-Hoats which generally come as a premix. And also the nice long recommended service interval of the newer oem PHoat like Type2 and Toyota SLL.

While I'm very satisfied with Peak Global Lifetime in my Tacoma, I will definitely take a very hard look at the PepBoys P-Hoat ( if still available) when it comes time for my Accord cooling system service. Verrry interesting.

I purchased the Blue for my Accord, its a concentrate and w/ a gallon of distilled water its $22 total for 2 gallons of coolant. If went to dealer it would cost me $44 for 2 gallons of coolant. saves me $22 and i can do a distilled flush and still get my 50/50 mix. I like that idea.

saves me $22 and i can do a distilled flush and still get my 50/50 mix. I like that idea.

No doubt, the idea of being able to do a distilled flush series, getting all/most of the old out, then adding a concentrated AF to ~50% capacity and topping with distilled, is very appealing. I was able to get my local Honda dealer to match a $15 and change/gal Type 2 online price with a recent Civic radiator replacement job. Still trying to get close to a ~50% AF concentration was time consuming and wasteful. As said, if this PB P-Hoat is as advertised, at this price point, being a full strength AF is a real advantage.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Interesting. Well, the Toyota red is only $24.95 a gallon at my local dealer so that's not much of a difference.

Very different pricing in other regions of the country. My local Toyota dealer wants $33/gal for RED and the Lexus dealer wants $35/gal for the RED

Originally Posted By: kschachn

When one takes into consideration that that LL Red has a 2year/30k service interval as opposed to PB Asian PHoat concentrate's up to 5 years/150k service interval, the difference becomes significantly greater. Even if run 4-5 years ~60k miles that would be a substantial savings over LL Red.

I love ginger ale.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
You guys know what else has Sodium Benzoate in it? Ginger Ale and other selected foodstuffs- as a preservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back