QSUD or Castrol Edge (5W-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just used my last jug of PU over the weekend and plan on switching to QSUD but I've been thinking about Castrol Edge.

What's the general consensus on Edge? I've seen some good UOAs but some mixed opinions on it's performance as well.

-Thanks

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Flip a coin. They're both good oils. I run QSUD a lot since it's on sale.

Yup, this. There's no compelling reason to run one over the other. Run whichever you get cheapest.

Thanks everyone, I guess the difference between the 2 is negligible.

Since QSUD is around 21.50 it's a good deal.

I just bought a 5 L jug of Castrol Edge for $25 cdn
for my next oil change on our Saturn Vue. I'm using the
5w40 grade in my BMW. No problem with Castrol.

If everything was equal I'd pick the Edge over SOPUS's entry level syn, price adds a little more to the mix though. You won't go "wrong" with either one of course.

Well, from the seat of my placebo, EDGE feels better in my car. Seriously, both are fine oils.

So Castrol gives your car the extra Edge or margin of error it needs and Quaker State gives your engine Ultimate Durability for the long-term.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
So Castrol gives your car the extra Edge or margin of error it needs and Quaker State gives your engine Ultimate Durability for the long-term.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

When you mix them you get:

Castrol State - Ultimate Edge
wink.gif

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_mobil-super-warranty.aspx

I think that from here on out, I will go with Mobil Super Synthetic. It's cheaper, Dexos Certified and offers a nice guarantee (see above). Since we cannot go past 5K miles per oci and it is guaranteed up 7500, I'm confident it will do the job just fine. As i said earlier though, you cannot go wrong with any of your selections either.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, Mobil Super Synthetic isn't a bad idea, I may give it a shot in the future.

I know this is slightly off topic but has anyone seen Castrol Edge 5W-40 at Walmart??

The only downside as I see it to MSS is that it's pretty much an auto parts store oil. So you need to watch for OCI specials to get it at reasonable pricing.

If it sat on the shelf at Wally's I'd suspect it would be extremely popular here, like QSUD is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back